HR & Recruiting Glossary
This glossary will support any HR professional, business owner, or hiring manager. Here you will be able to find the knowledge of key terms and concepts shaping the hiring world.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
What is a Pre-Employment Drug Test?
A Pre-Employment Drug Test is a routine part of the hiring process in which applicants are screened for illicit substances or prescription medication abuse. A pre-employment drug test is usually requested by a potential employer prior to being hired or as a contingency to a job offer.
Is it legal to require a Pre-Employment Drug Test?
The laws/rules of drug testing vary from state to state. A company should consult their local laws surrounding drug testing before requiring it of their applicants/new hires.
There are some general guidelines, which include the following:
- The applicant must know ahead of time that a pre-employment drug test is part of the new employee/new hire screening process.
- Job Seekers applying for the same job must undergo the same type of drug test, reducing any appearance of discrimination
- Drug tests must be administered at a state-certified lab.
Why would a company require a Pre-Employment Drug Test?
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA):
- Drug use may represent as much as a five-fold increase in workplace injury claims
- Up to 50 percent of all workers' compensation claims are related to workplace substance abuse
- Substance impairments may lead to 3.5 times more accidents
- Substance abuse can increase by 2.5 times the likelihood of an employee missing eight or more workdays annually
- Substance abuse may contribute to productivity being 33 percent lower than it would be otherwise
If workplace safety and employee safety are a big concern for you, it would be wise to require Pre-Employment Drug Tests. If you want to ensure that you have employees that are as present and productive as possible, it would be wise to require Pre-Employment Drug Tests.
How can I make Pre-Employment Drug tests a part of my hiring process?
ApplicantPro makes pre-employment drug testing easy! To learn more about Pre-employment Drug Testing and other ways to verify your top pick is who they say they are, visit our Background Checks page.