HR & Recruiting Glossary
This glossary will support any HR professional, business owner, or hiring manager. Here you will be able to find the knowledge of key terms and concepts shaping the hiring world.
Have any questions?
We’re ready and happy to help. :)Let’s Talk Hiring
What is Applicant Screening?
Applicant Screening is the process of reviewing applications or resumes and performing initial phone or video interviews. This is the part of the hiring process when an employer decides if they want to conduct a more official interview to learn more about an applicant.
What tools are used to screen applicants?
There are several tools that can be used in the applicant screening process.
- Job Screening Questions. You can set up questions for the applicants and depending on their answers, they may be automatically disqualified if they don't meet minimum job requirements.
- Ranking applicants. Applicant ranking is the sorting of applicants based on qualifications, experience, and disqualifiers stated on a job application. This will help you to know who you want to continue in the interview process and who is not a good fit for the job.
- Cognitive and Behavioral Assessments. These assessments will help you further understand the applicants you have for your open positions, making it easier to know if they'd be a good fit.
- Video Interviews. You can set up specific interview questions for each job opening and then all the candidates for that position will be able to answer the same set of questions through their smartphone or tablet on their time. You and your team can review, rewatch, and rate at your convenience. This saves your time and the job seeker's time by not conducting unnecessary interviews.
- Skills Testing. Test your applicant's soft skills and hard skills to get a deeper understanding of who they are and if they would be a good fit for your company.
Why screen applicants?
Screening your applicants will help you weed out those who don't meet the minimum requirements for your job or who may not be a good fit for your company's culture. This will help reduce turnover as you will end up with solid hires. This will save you time as you won't be conducting interviews for unqualified candidates.
Are you ready to discover your recruiting secret super powers?
Let’s schedule a Free Hiring Consultation Call. One of our expert Hiring Consultants can help you identify what’s working and what might be wasting time and money.I’m Ready to Hire Great People
Additional Glossary Terms
Labor Hoarding: A Strategy for Navigating the Labor Shortage in 2023
Are You a Hidden Gem but Struggle to Hire?
Indeed's New ATS Partner Program: Enhancing Your Hiring Process
Pre-employment Assessments Are an Essential Tool for Your Hiring Process
Do you have a competitive advantage when it comes to hiring?
- Ready to Use on Day One
- Easy to Use
- Price Match Guarantee
- Fast Turnaround Time
- Engaged Applicants