Switching up your Hiring Software? Here's what you need to know.
Your Applicant Tracking System might be making the talent shortage worse for your company.
The talent shortage is turning into a bit of a crisis!
I did three hiring strategy calls this week for companies that all had the same problem with a similar story. They switched from a standalone Applicant Tracking System to a module offered by an end-to-end option with an ATS that is fully integrated with onboarding, payroll, HR, etc.
And to be honest, the reason why they switched was valid...
They were hoping for a fully integrated platform where data would flow seamlessly from one module to the next, and their team would have easy access to that data through a single login.
These may be the same reasons why you switched in the past five years, from a standalone best-of-breed system over to an end-to-end module that's provided by a much bigger and wider software platform.
Switching your hiring software often leads to unintended, but quite severe consequences
All three companies I talked to last week mentioned...
- They saw an immediate, substantial drop in their applicant flow.
- Even after they got their applicant flow turned back on, it was still much lower than it was before.
- Even by spending more money, they couldn't get their applicant flow back to where it was, to begin with.
Does this sound familiar?
Most of these people are completely confused, surprised, and frustrated... feeling like they are the only ones experiencing this. But the fact of the matter is, this is probably the 100th time I've heard the same story!
Back before our current talent crisis, these stories may have played out all over the United States in different-sized organizations and different industries.
The reason why you probably haven't heard of them is that most people assumed that the change in applicant flow had something to do with the economy or something like that. But, in actuality, it was most likely caused by their software.
There are a handful of mistakes I see companies make when switching from one hiring software to another
- They assume all applicant tracking systems are the same, and they don't know how they all work.
- They ask the wrong questions or no questions at all when it came to analyzing the switch from one system to another.
- Or, if they are asking the right questions, they are listening to a pitch from a sales rep who really doesn't know whether there will be problems with sourcing or not, (or, just straight up lied about it).
If you're looking to switch from one hiring software to another, here's what you need to know
- Changing an applicant tracking system provider, when that system is the one distributing your jobs out to the job board, will cause disruption no matter what. But the question is, how long will that disruption last?
- Not all applicant tracking systems have the same level of integration with job boards. It's not just the number of job boards that matter, but the actual level of integration that is there.
- The level of that integration impacts more than just the integration itself (meaning whether your job shows up on the job board or not, or how applicants apply). It also impacts the rankings of your job when a job seeker goes to search for it. Bad rankings end up harming the number of applicants that apply.
Here's the solution...
You must either become an expert on how these different software platforms are interacting with each other, OR you need to make sure you're talking to an expert when you decide to make the shift.
If you're experiencing this problem right now, I'd be more than happy to sit down and talk through what exactly is going on and what you can do to solve it.
Or if you're looking at making the switch in the future, I can talk through what to expect and most importantly, give you a plan of attack to solve the problem of suddenly seeing a dramatic drop in applicants when you switch from one ATS to the next.
It's a free consultation, not a sales pitch. Just click the button below to fill out our quick form to get started!
Get More Applicants from Job Boards
Download this exclusive guide to improve applicant flow from job boards.
Share this article
We have the recipe for hiring success. Just like baking without a recipe is a gamble, hiring without the right ingredients can lead to disappointment. Learn how to identify top-quality job candidates with key tips and insights.
ApplicantPro has just been named to the Inc. 5000 list for the 11th time in a row, an accomplishment that less than 1% of all Inc. 5000 recipients have received.
Learn how ApplicantPro's expert job ad writers can help you write appealing and effective job ads that resonate with your ideal job seekers, increasing your applicant flow!