Keep Employees and Get More Applicants... It All Starts with You!
Are you thriving in abundant applicant flow?
Is employee retention one of your strengths?
Are your employees often promoting you as a great place to work and referring their friends to work for you?
Does your organization have amazing reviews on job boards?
If you answered no to any of these questions...
What are you doing to fix it?
Why haven't you done it yet?
I know it's easy to point fingers and blame the job-seekers, employees, or competitors...
But maybe it's time to take a deeper look at you and your organization.
The other day I was on a call with the business owner of a local restaurant where they struggled with all four of the aspects I mentioned above. Out of frustration, he explained to me how the exact same restaurant just a few miles down the road was THRIVING in applicant flow. He claimed that "they don't struggle in the ways my restaurant struggles and they've had the same employees working there for years".
He asked, "What is it that makes our restaurant different?"
And although it might not have been clear to him, it was clear to me!
You have to create a company culture and an environment that applicants WANT to work for.
Recruiting Self Assessment
Start thriving in this hyper-competitive job market by identifying where you stand in the competition for talent!
If you or your managers aren't providing an environment that stimulates...
- personal growth,
- the ability to challenge authority through questions or feedback, or
- you're not allowing employees to have fun and enjoy their jobs...
Why would applicants and new employees want to work for you?
What's the key to both attracting and retaining applicants?
Ensure your company's culture is one that makes applicants excited and happy to work for you.
Here are a few ways to create and maintain a positive company culture...
- Consistent one on ones - Whether weekly, bi-weekly or monthly, have your managers sit down with each team member in a relaxed setting. Dedicate uninterrupted time to celebrate wins, talk through questions, and solve problems.
- Set clear, SMART goals(Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-bound) - Push your employees to grow and challenge themselves.
- Follow up - There is no sense in setting goals if you don't make sure the goals are being worked towards. Hold them accountable and see if there are ways you can help them be more successful.
- Think outside the box - Think of ways to keep your team engaged and having fun while working hard. Whether it's setting company goals, establishing rewards, or competitions, try to keep people excited about their job.
- Be comfortable living in the uncomfortable - That means asking hard questions, or accepting hard feedback, or apologizing when you are wrong.... Applicants and employees want to work for leaders who aren't afraid to check themselves.
Bottom line, be sure to point the finger towards yourself before pointing it at others.
Remember, you can't expect people to apply to your organization when everyone knows the restaurant down the street is a better place to work.
I want to challenge you...
Sit down with at least one employee and ask how things are going. Humble yourself to make them feel comfortable enough to tell you what they would change at your organization. What would help them feel excited about referring their friends and family to come work for you? Then...
Do what you need to do to make those changes happen!
Unlock your hiring potential today!
Learn how you can reach unthought of applicant pools with our Recruiting Self Assessment!
Share this article
Struggling to find quality applicants amid the current talent shortage? Recruitment Marketing has been gaining popularity in the hiring world. So what exactly is Recruitment marketing, and is it a good hiring solution for your organization?
Feeling unsure about the future of your business? Increase your confidence with failproof recruiting strategies. Get the talent you need to fill job openings!
There's a handful of common mistakes companies make when looking to change ATS providers to an end-to-end hiring vendor. If you're looking to make the change, check out these helpful tips!