- Waukegan, IL, USA
- Full Time
We are Vista Hospital. Our primary function is to offer continuous nursing, medical, and other health and social services on a 24-hour basis, under physician directed care and RN supervision.
We service a multitude of patients and their families across our vast network, while remaining committed to the professional development of our staff, the functional improvement of our patients, and the cultivation of strong partnerships within our communities.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Essential/stable and growing company with many opportunities for training and advancement within the medical field that all employees and team members (including Full-Time and Part-Time) can benefit from.
- Hourly pay is negotiable based on experience. We offer competitive market pay and opportunities for bonus depending on great work performance (bonuses only apply for Full Time).
- Comprehensive Employee Benefits: Full-Time employees are eligible for various plans for medical, dental, and vision insurance.
The HIM Clerk is responsible for obtaining, assembling, and filing patient records in accordance with departmental policies and procedures, answering and responding appropriately to telephone calls and distributing reports and statistics.
- Answers all telephone calls by the third ring, kindly and professionally identifying oneself by name and department. Provides assistance to callers by returning calls, pages and transferring calls
- Delivers documents and records to patient care areas and inserts documents in all types of patient records with accuracy and in a timely manner. Has a working knowledge of the delivery standards with regards to STAT and Non-STAT floors
- Collects and receives newly discharged patient records and places them into proper numbered medical record folder
- Sorts, correlates, and distributes reports with accuracy and in a timely manner. Compiles, sorts, and distributes all transcribed reports to the appropriate areas in a timely manner. Receives census listings, patient index information and other daily reports and compiles reports/data in a timely manner per established department policies and procedures with accuracy as related to job duties
- Pulls and files records requested by authorized users with accuracy and in a timely manner.
- Assembles newly discharged inpatient and/or outpatient records with accuracy, in the appropriate order and in a timely manner
- Maintains the highest level of strict confidentiality of patient information as it pertains to HIPAA Privacy and Security standards
- Follows department policies and procedures to contribute to the efficiency of the Health Information Management department, and in order to maintain consistent workflow in all areas throughout the department
- Uses interpersonal skills effectively to build and maintain cooperative working relationships by cooperating with all staff and supervisors, contributing to team and department efforts, and sharing helpful information. Maintains a professional attitude and sets a positive example for others.
- Prioritize work assignments to contribute to the efficiency of the HIM department. Must be flexible with work schedule in order to meet the department deadlines and goals of the hospital.
- Expands job-related knowledge and skills to improve performance and adjust to change.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Additional college training (preferred)
- Minimum of 1 year in Health Information Management department or Healthcare related field
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A minimum of 35 wpm when typing
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Basic numerical and alphabetical filing skills
- Knowledge of functions and relationships of departments within a hospital (preferred)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of computerized chart tracking systems (preferred)
- Ability to work in a team environment and develop positive relationships with others.