- 30-Sep-2020 to Until Filled (EST)
- Old Saybrook, CT, USA
- Full Time
The McConnell Group, www.themccgroup.com, a health science company, has an opening for a full-time Deputy Attending Veterinarian to provide support at Plum Island Animal Disease Center. PIADC is located just off the northeastern tip of New York's Long Island. This position supports the Department of Homeland Security Research and Development Program vaccine studies by caring for large animals in accordance with established procedures.
Candidates are not eligible if they own or work with cloven hoofed animals, pigs, and chickens outside of PIADC due to biosecurity requirements. The only type of livestock that can be privately owned or worked with are horses.
- Conducts clinical rounds and prescribe treatment plans for injured/sick animals
- Provides support to the Attending Veterinarian
- Generates and maintains animal health report data for in-house health cases
- Evaluates study animals to assess animal welfare
- Performs euthanasia
- Administers and distributes appropriate medications and anesthetic agents for staff working with study animals
- Examines incoming animals and provides treatment if necessary
- Reports epidemiological data on in-house animal health data to IACUC
- Attends and participates in IACUC meetings and vivarium related committees
- Prepares and participates in PIADC vivarium inspections
- Investigates and generates reports for incidents involving vendors, animal health, and animal welfare
- Performs pilot research studies
- Provides practical training to staff member(s); maintains training records; and presents training lectures at monthly staff meetings
- Provides work direction for clinical veterinarian and animal health technician team as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Possess a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- Licensed to practice in one state within the United States
- Minimum 3 years of clinical experience to include large animal species
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Must be able to receive and maintain a Personal Security Level 3 (PSL-3) clearance and participate in the Occupational Health/Safety Programs
Candidate MUST pass a government background investigation (NAC), employment physical and drug/alcohol screening. As required by law, TMG participates in E-Verify, a service of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA), to verify the identity and employment eligibility of persons hired to work in the United States.
TMG offers competitive pay and benefits packages including health insurance; paid holiday and time off; EAP; 401(k) and College Savings Plan.