The American Association of Geographers (AAG) is a nonprofit scientific and educational society founded in 1904. For more than 100 years the AAG has contributed to the advancement of geography. Its members from nearly 100 countries share interests in the theory, methods, and practice of geography, which they cultivate through the AAG's Annual Meeting, scholarly journals (Annals of the American Association of Geographers, The Professional Geographer, the AAG Review of Books and GeoHumanities), and the online AAG Newsletter.
The AAG promotes discussion among its members and with scholars in related fields, in part through the activities of its affinity groups and more than 70 specialty groups. The meetings and activities of our regional divisions provide the opportunity to network with colleagues near you.
Accounting/Finance Coordinator Position:
Under the direction of the Director of Finance and Accounting and the Director of Membership Operations, the Accounting/Finance Coordinator is responsible for carrying out general accounting duties efficiently and accurately, for contributing to overall effectiveness of the Accounting department, and to also support the many accounting-related duties that are handled by the Membership department. This position is responsible for all accounts receivable components, membership dues/sponsor revenues, general ledger processes, related account reconciliations, and accounts payable. This position will also be a point of contact for member inquires.
We are looking for an individual who is able to be self-motivated, work independently, prioritize and handle multiple tasks successfully in a fast-paced environment while paying meticulous attention to detail. Candidates should have a demonstrated ability to work as a team player, be open to take on new responsibilities, and grow on the job. Applicants should show effective interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to develop collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate is resourceful, a good problem solver, and willing to accept a variety of assignments. The Accounting/Finance Coordinator serves as an integral part of both the Accounting and Membership Departments in providing accurate, timely, and meaningful financial data to management, as well as contributing significantly to the overall effectiveness of these departments.
Essential duties of the Accounting/Finance Coordinator:
- Responsible for all A/R collection and filing system.
- Maintain integrity of Accounts Payable process and filing system.
- Verify vendor statements for accuracy and follow-up on any inconsistencies.
- Reconcile membership, conference registration, exhibitors, sponsorships, and other revenues or to revenue recognized on the financial statements.
- Perform month-end reconciliation of bank statement.
- Reconcile the subsidiary ledgers for both accounts receivable and accounts payable to the GL control account. Follow up and resolve any discrepancies.
- Prepare Year End 1099 as required by IRS regulations for distribution to vendors and filing 1096 with IRS.
- Ensure all year-end audit duties and reconciliations are met within the required timeframe, and assist with preparation of IRS Form-990.
- Respond to customer/member inquiries, provide exemplary customer/member support such as identifying and resolving technical issues that affect customer/member self-service; processing and mailing orders; supporting event activities.
Accounting/Finance Coordinator Qualifications:
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree or equivalent in accounting/finance or related field, and/or 2-4 years of related work experience in finance.
- Ability to use professional standards in the correct application of accounting rules.
- Thorough familiarity with Microsoft 365 office applications and accounting software systems. Familiarity with Microsoft D365 CRM database for creating, updating, and maintaining comprehensive member data.
- Advanced proficiency with Excel; working proficiency with other financial software applications, preferably QuickBooks.
- Detail-oriented, excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to build and maintain cross-functional relationships.
- Effective interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to develop collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to analyze and revise operating practices to improve efficiency.
The AAG provides a generous and comprehensive employee benefits package, including group health, dental and vision plans, life/AD&D and long-term disability insurance, matching 403(b), flex plans for medical and dependent expenses, commuter Smart Benefits, and paid sick and annual leave.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, cover letter and desired salary requirements for consideration.
The AAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.