- MD, USA
- Part Time
Port Discovery Children’s Museum provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. The museum offers a generous part-time benefits package including 401k; free parking; paid sick leave and so much more!
Port Discovery Children's Museum, one of the top Children's Museum in the United States and a top cultural institution in Baltimore's Inner Harbor, is seeking a motivated and energetic Facilities Technician to join us on a part-time basis. The Museum provides experiences that ignite imagination, inspire learning, and nurture growth through play.
General Summary of the Job:
The part-time Facilities Technician will be part of the team that ensures that the Museum operates at a high level of operational readiness, which delivers a quality guest experience. The Technician assists with construction and routine maintenance of all building systems, general repair of exhibit activities and components, control systems, plumbing and light electrical work on the facility and grounds. Must keep inventory and actively replace lighting as needed. Must know and adhere to safety protocol in handling machinery, electrical equipment and power tools. Occasionally, the Facilities Technician will need to drive the company van for repair or other related events and must be able to operate a man-lift to 35 feet.
Port Discovery requires all of its employees to be sensitive to the needs of young children and to be flexible, patient and respectful when interacting with the public or other staff members. Qualities of being innovative and having a good sense of humor will help to make a successful hire.
Position offers up to 29 weekly hours and schedule will be set upon hire based on museum needs. Scheduled work-days may vary from week to week, based on operating requirements. Working special events, weekends, evenings and holidays will be necessary.
- Maintain facility building and grounds maintenance program through regularly scheduled inspections and documentation for submittal to the Facilities Manager.
- Perform basic building and facilities maintenance, including painting, lighting, minor electrical, plumbing and woodworking as needed.
- Participate in all phases of exhibit installation, including exhibit demolition, site preparation and exhibit component installation.
- Produce innovative solutions for damaged or broken facility items.
- Use of Ladders and Genie lift.
- Crawling and Climbing through tight spaces.
- Exterior building tasks such as weeding or minor painting will occasionally be required.
- Adhere to safety protocol at all times and encourage others to respect safety standards and precautions.
Position Requirements & Qualifications:
- High School diploma, GED, vo-tech degree and/or technical schooling required.
- Minimum of two years of experience in HVAC, carpentry, metal work, plumbing, electrical and general building maintenance are required.
- Basic/General building construction knowledge including drywall work.
- Strong ability to be self-motivated and to be able to produce work efficiently and cost effectively.
- Strong attention to detail is necessary and the ability to focus and to complete projects in a timely manner is essential.
- Must have a flexible work schedule and will be required to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Must have skills to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Qualities of being innovative and having a good sense of humor are essential.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 lbs; occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 lbs.
- Climbing and crawling through tight spaces.
- Exposure to paint and other fumes.
- Use of ladders and lifts to high elevations, operating a man-lift up to 35 feet.
- Carry equipment and supplies; use of light power tools.
- Use of machine tools with the need to protect against exposure to dust, chemicals and solvents.
- Virtual interview process.
- Personal protective equipment provided or required.
- Physical distancing guidelines in place.
- Capacity levels set in exhibit spaces.
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place.
- Daily health screening process.
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Convenient location next to a subway stop, or we offer free parking.
- Free admission to the Museum for family.
- Earned time off for sick leave.
- Retirement savings with Museum match after 6 months
If you are interested and feel you are qualified for this position, then please submit your resume and cover letter.
No phone calls please. Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.