Position: Field Engineering Technician II
FLSA Designation: Non-Exempt
Location: Aledo, TX or Keller, TX
Responsible for evaluating member service requirements, property details, geographic features, and existing Tri-County Electric Cooperative plant and equipment to support the design, construction, inspection, maintenance, and accounting of overhead and underground electrical distribution facilities. Collaborate with department colleagues to ensure design accuracy and consistency throughout the cooperative.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with work order technicians to schedule initial contact with members to understand electrical service requirements and evaluate existing electrical distribution facilities.
- Develop proposed distribution line extension and/or upgrades.
- Perform field engineering to analyze the requirements necessary to provide service requested by members.
- Utilize drafting software to create detailed construction packet for cost analysis and delivery to operations for construction.
- Conduct right of way field investigations, easement research, proper permitting with related supporting documents as needed for project management.
- Stake and manage site logistics for subdivisions and commercial developments.
- Design and staking of both overhead and underground projects including but not limited to residential, small commercial, small developments, etc.
- Perform system inspections which will include but not limited to examination/documentation of pole-line conditions, asset inventory, GPS data collection, joint use contacts, and ROW condition assessment.
- Identify equipment and infrastructure errors related to mapping and work with GIS department to correct inconsistency.
- Assist department head and senior field engineering technician in emergency response duties as needed.
- Mentor new employees to help transition into their role through one-on-one job shadowing as needed.
- Must comply with Cooperative safety rules and regulations.
- Must maintain confidential information as required by Cooperative Confidentiality Policy.
- Must work well in a team-oriented environment.
- Perform all other functions and requirements of the position as may be from time to time deemed necessary by the department head.
- Education Requirements
- Minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Prefer Associates degree in relevant field or 3+ years of relevant experience
- Prefer 3-5 years relevant experience
- Will be required to be self-sufficient and operate independently with direction, need, and efficiency at times.
- Prefer AutoCAD utilization.
- Staking Technician Certification
- Complete Tri-County's Technician I progression level or equivalent.
- Job Training
- Training on GPS equipment, field engineering software and AutoCAD as needed.
- Training on effective communication
- Communication Skills
- Must be able to speak and understand English language fluently.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Must be able to clearly convey Tri-County Electric Cooperative design requirements
- Computer Skills
- Must demonstrate working ability to learn and apply new software.
- Must be proficient of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Analytical Skills
- Must be able to apply engineering theory to the design of electric distribution lines.
- Must be able to understand GIS mapping terminology, survey concepts, and basic ESRI concepts.
- Must be able to interpret system maps, engineering drawings, and staking sheets.
- Must be able to do mathematical calculations required to support designs.
- Other Skills
- Must possess and maintain valid Texas Driver License, minimum Class C.
- Must be eligible to possess a State of Texas Notary ID.
- Reports to Director of Field Services
- Work with Work Order Technicians, Business Development, Engineering, GIS, Accounting, Operations, and other Cooperative staff.
- Work with Members, Construction Personnel, Developers, State, Municipal, and County Employees.
(Scale: Rarely = Less than 5%, Occasionally = 5% - 25%, Frequently = More than 25%)
- Heavy lifting or moving of materials: Occasionally - Up to 50lbs.
- Operates Equipment: Frequently - Cooperative vehicles
- Operates Office Machines: Frequently- PC, Printers, GPS Equipment, etc.
- Standing: Frequently
- Walking: Frequently
- Awkward Position (stooping, bending etc.): Frequently
- Climbing Maximum: Rarely - 10'
- Eye-hand Coordination: Frequently - Ex: Use of hand tools and computer equipment
- Location: Indoor 20% of time, Outdoor 80%
- Work Conditions: Occasional overtime and after-hours work as required during major events and for systems upgrades and issues. This position will be required to work outdoors in all weather conditions. Position may be required to work in extreme terrain conditions, including but not limited to, highway ROW, high elevations, steep canyons, and creek beds. Position may encounter contact with wildlife while on site including hazardous insects, plants, animals, and other environmental hazards. Position is subject to irregular hours based on unforeseen circumstances and requirements. Position may be subject to travel and overnight stays on location based on need. Position will travel extensively by car or truck throughout the TCEC system.