- 23-Sep-2021 to Until Filled (MST)
- Cedar City, UT, USA
- Commensurate with Experience
- Full Time
The Southern Utah University Dixie L. Leavitt School of Business is conducting an open rank search for a full-time, tenure-track or tenured faculty in the department of Management and Hospitality. Rank will be dependent upon education and experience as outlined below in the qualifications section.
The Dixie L. Leavitt School of Business at Southern Utah University is accredited by AACSB International and offers bachelors' degrees in business administration with ten different majors and several minors in different disciplines. Graduate programs include MBA, Master of Accounting, Master of Business Analytics, and a MAcc/MBA dual degree program.
The Hotel, Resort, and Hospitality Management (HRHM) program at SUU is accredited by AACSB International and prepares students to become general managers with strong training in hospitality business operations, management, customer service, financial services, leadership and event planning. The HRHM program offers various concentrations, including Food and Beverage Management Emphasis, Lodging Management Emphasis, Event Planning Emphasis, a Minor in Hotel, Resort, and Hospitality Management, and a Culinary Arts Management Specialty program.
Southern Utah University is a comprehensive, state-supported, regional graduate and undergraduate degree-granting institution located in Cedar City, Utah, with an enrollment of about 15,000 students. It is home to the Utah Shakespeare Festival and is surrounded by national parks, monuments, forests and wilderness areas that draw millions of visitors annually from around the world. The university is located about 2 hours from Las Vegas and 3 hours from Salt Lake City. SUU is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and the School of Business is committed to the principles underlying this policy.
First Consideration Date for Applicants: October 23, 2021
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities of the successful candidate will include the following:
1. Provide excellent instruction in undergraduate courses in lodging management. Courses taught could include Hospitality Management Systems, Strategic Leadership, Front Office and Hotel Analytics, Resort and Recreation Management, Meetings and Convention Management.
2. Grow enrollment in the Hotel, Resort, and Hospitality Management major, by exemplifying a hospitality demeanor.
3. Engage and mentor students in alignment with the mission and vision of the university and school.
4. Grow and nurture hospitality industry contacts for field trips, internships and career opportunities.
5. Conduct research that enhances HRHM instruction and the regional hospitality and tourism industry (tenure-track only).
6. Work closely with the Business Career Services Coordinator mentoring students in career exploration and securing employment.
7. Provide service to the department, school, and university, and the hospitality and tourism industry.
8. Attend School and University meetings and events.
9. Other duties as assigned by the administration.
In accordance with Utah State Code 53B-1-110, appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful passing of a background check.
For questions regarding job information, please contact Dr. Howard Hu, search committee chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (435)586-5467.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Preferred Qualifications Dependent on rank, this position requires either a master's degree or an earned Doctorate in Hospitality/Tourism related field with significant professional experience.
1. Lecturer (non-tenure-track): master's degree, 8+ years of industry relevant experience.
2. Assistant/Associate/Professor (tenure-track): terminal degree, 3+ years of industry relevant experience.
3. Excellent teaching skills in various hospitality and lodging courses. Teaching experience could include experience in corporate settings (e.g., corporate training, public speaking, etc.).
4. Tenure-track candidates must have demonstrated the ability to publish in refereed journals.
5. Potential to obtain hospitality professional certifications, such as CHIA, CAHTA, ServSafe Food Protection Manager, etc.
6. Competency in using OPERA software for front office operations, understanding guest feedback software, and familiarization with Cvent Supplier Network and Cvent Event Diagramming.
7. Knowledge of AACSB standards and accreditation.
Documents Needed to Apply:
- Resume/Curriculum vitae
- Cover Letter of interest, with clear indication of position being applied for
- Contact information for at least 3 Professional References (at least one from industry) including name, address, e-mail address, and phone number
- Three most recent teaching evaluations, and/or evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Unofficial Transcripts (Finalists may be asked to provide official transcripts to verify doctorate or master's degree)
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Any other supporting documents if available
Southern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its members; and encourages individual commitment to personal responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life.
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any member of the University community on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy, pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!