- Washington, DC, USA
- Commensurate with experience
- Full Time
Competitive Salary, Unlimited PTO, 10 Paid Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K Plan, 529 Plan Contribution, Wellness Allowance, Disability, Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Health Flexible Spending Account , Commuter Benefits, Employee Assistance Program
Position Title: Marketing & Communications Senior Manager
Job Location: Washington, DC (Remote, For the Exceptionally Qualified Candidate)
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
I. Who We Are
Student Freedom Initiative, Inc. (SFI) is a nonprofit corporation formed under the laws of the State of Delaware and operated exclusively for charitable, educational, and scientific purposes. Our vision is to reduce the wealth gap through the lens of education. We focus on the young men and women attending Historically Black Colleges and Universities ("HBCUs") - and ultimately other Minority Serving Institutions ("MSIs"). We are student centric and evidence-based; we deliver a holistic solution to address the systemic problems resulting from the trapping of poverty that contribute to wealth gap. Our program is composed of four pillars: (1) Alternative to traditional Parent PLUS loans, (2) Internships & Certification, (3) Comprehensive Supports, and (4) Targeted MSI Capacity Building. The outcomes sought from these pillars are to reduce student debt burden, increase student job readiness, increase student persistence, and increase resilience and competitiveness of MSIs. These pillars are enabled by the generous contributions of our corporate and philanthropic supporters.
II. The Role
We are looking for a Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications to lead development and execution of the company's marketing communication strategies and drive branding/image management across various public relations and advertising channels (including, but not exclusively web, print, media, and social media platforms). He/she is a critical, strategic addition to branding and growing the company's position with all constituent groups (e.g., Corporate Partners, High Net Worth Individuals, Private Foundations, Family Offices, Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs), Federal & State Government). The person will drive broader awareness externally. As an ambassador for the company, it is imperative that he/she has existing relationships with marketing and media firms, and the ability to build and execute a marketing and communications strategy that will always keep the company at the forefront of the market. This is a hands-on position.
III. What You Will Do
- Prepare and distribute information that is professional, clear, consistent, and credibility communicates the company vision, goals, and objectives in language that evokes action by constituent groups.
- Lead and provide direction to support contracts (e.g., social media, web development, others) to ensure they meet contractual requirements
- Translate company vision, goals, and objectives into actionable plans, measurable in qualitative and quantitative terms; includes working with media, social media platforms, partner institutions, and providers of in-kind contributions and funding.
- Collaborate with Executive Leadership team (e.g., Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer, and General Counsel and Secretary), Project Managers, and Program Design to provide direction to support contractors and implement marketing and communications needs of the company.
- Define and implement processes to align/streamline marketing and communications efforts among the company, support contracts, partner institutions, corporate partners, and funding sources.
- Obtain advertising opportunities through negotiations with various online and print publications.
- Develop and maintain the company's annual marketing and events calendar.
- Maintain professional knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional journals and publications.
- Create, maintain, and distribute digital and hardcopy report and brochures for use in fundraising and other campaigns.
- Cultivate and sustain long term, mutually beneficial relationships with media partners and potential donors.
- Create, coordinate and gain consensus of the annual marketing and communications budget, including scope, schedule, and cost of support contracts.
IV. What You Will Bring
- A Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, English, or related field is required; advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in management role either in-house or with an agency.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in developing and implementing social media strategies.
- Demonstrated experience in managing comprehensive strategic marketing and communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance the company's mission and goals.
- Demonstrated experience developing fundraising campaign material for colleges and universities.
- Demonstrated knowledge in email marketing tools, content management systems and Google Analytics Essential Functions.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and experience working in a multicultural, multi-ethnic, and multi-generational environment.
- Demonstrated experience with creative graphic design, event branding, and event production.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with executive leadership team.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365 Suite (Word, Excel, Publisher, Photoshop, PowerPoint).
- Proficient in the following social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and TikTok.
- Willingness to travel up to 15% of the time.
V. What Core Competencies You Should Possess
- Interpersonal Skills
- Personal Effectiveness
- Project Management
- Results Driven
- Ability to Deal with Ambiguity
- Ability To Exercise Discretion
- Ability Protect Extremely Sensitive Information & Relationships
It is impossible to list every requirement for, or responsibility of, any position. Similarly, we cannot identify all the skills a position may require since job responsibilities and the Company's needs may change over time. Therefore, the above job description is not comprehensive or exhaustive. The Company reserves the right to adjust, add to or eliminate any aspect of the above description. The Company also retains the right to require all employees to undertake additional or different job responsibilities when necessary to meet business needs.
Student Freedom Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.