- 07-Oct-2021 to 06-Dec-2021 (CST)
- University Center
- San Antonio, TX, USA
- Commensurate with experience
- Full Time
Competitive Pay; Generous vacation, sick, & holiday benefits; Excellent health & welfare benefits with 100% tuition assistance available.
The position is responsible for set-up and breakdown of all scheduled reservations for suites, meeting rooms, conference rooms, and banquet rooms for the University Center. This position cooperatively coordinates hospitality suite services and actively contributes with efforts from other team members to include students, to meet the needs of the guests. Position requires work that includes flex schedules, nights, weekends and holidays.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares scheduled events/venues efficiently and effectively as detailed by the reservations using work orders or diagrams. Sets up and/or breakdowns tables, chairs, furniture, barricades, tenting, signage, décor audio visual equipment and platform/stages and other equipment as specified by reservation.
- Opens and closes the University Center as per schedule and following university procedures.
- Loads and unloads truck with venue equipment including chairs, tables, stage material and other event materials to and from inventory areas to event/venue areas. Inspects all equipment ensuring they are clean and in good working order at all times. Reports all damages or issues so that they can be addressed.
- Cleans, stores, and secures in an organized manner all tables, chairs, and audio visual equipment, platforms/stages and other equipment used for event functions.
- Checks temperature, lighting (Up lights, dimmer packs, market lighting, etc.), A/V (i.e. projectors, screens, speakers, wireless microphones, etc.) are prepped and in working order. Ensures that guest is instructed on the operation of each and who to contact for any issues.
- Maintains the cleanliness before, during and after each event, including but not limited to sweeping, mopping, window washing, bathroom upkeep, spot cleaning and/or coordinating facility maintenance requests. Performs routine inspections at the University Center, walking the perimeter of the facility as well as ensuring the needs of guests; ensures venues is left with no trace of event and is fully ready for the next day of operation.
- Assists manager with guest relations whenever needed.
- May pick-up and deliver boxes and materials (flip, charts, easels, blackboards, etc.) for function; may retrieve clean linen and skirting and stock in storage area, or refresh room during breaks (replenish supplies, water pitchers, etc.)..
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED required
- One (1) year event set-up, warehouse or similar experience.
- Familiarity with various types of workable setups A/V (i.e. projectors, screens, speakers, wireless microphones, etc.) for each meeting room or ability to quickly learn.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends, and/or Holidays and flexible schedules.
- Must be able to multi-task and work with various groups in the university.
- Must be able to communicate and interact with guests, students, coworkers, and supervisors and to stay calm under pressure to proactively resolve issues.
- Must maintain a valid driver's license, motor vehicle liability insurance and personal injury insurance, and complete the University Van Driver Training within 90 days of employment date.
- Must clear and maintain a favorable background investigation and clearance.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong public relations and customer service skills with an ability to implement diplomacy and discretion at all times; an ability to work effectively with communities across the university.
- Must have a high ethical standards and a strong sense of confidentiality; ability to prioritize and manage multiple deadlines; thrive in a complex work environment; displays solid problem solving and interpersonal skills; works well independently and as part of a team.
- Must have a high attention to detail and be able to organize workflow, coordinate activities, balance simultaneous projects without loss of efficiency in a multi-tasked environment, and manage multiple priorities to meet deadlines.
- Moving about the event(s) areas; standing, sitting, walking, bending, kneeling, squatting, climbing stairs, reaching, turning, lifting and stocking up to 50lbs.
- Lift 50 pounds individually; handling, carrying or lifting items weighing up to 100 pounds (tables, chairs, trays, equipment, etc.).
- Ability to be on feet and standing or in motion for 8 hour shift; waling or standing for long periods of time.
- Occasional climate extremes of hot or cold.
- Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with guests, coworkers, and supervisors.
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized often with banquet event orders and instructions
- Basic math is used frequently to ensure the proper set up of tables, settings, chairs, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
St. Mary's University is a Hispanic-Serving Institution and an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to furthering diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourages all qualified candidates apply.