- 04-May-2021 to 30-Sep-2021 (EST)
- Lexington, KY, USA
- Full Time
S&ME is proud to offer high quality, affordable, comprehensive financial and wellness benefits. The package includes a 401 (k) retirement plan; an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP); medical, dental, life and disability insurance; a full suite of voluntary products; a Flexible Spending Account and an Employee Assistance Program; and paid holiday, vacation and sick time. We also provide employees with an opportunity to further their professional growth through certification training and our Credential Incentive Program.
Position: Construction Services Senior Laboratory Technician
Requisition Number: 2021-2310-23
S&ME is a leading, employee-owned, multi-disciplined professional services firm that responds to clients with innovative, sustainable solutions. S&ME strives to create an environment where everyone can be their best by providing a supportive atmosphere of entrepreneurial growth, to build growing relationships, and to take on increasingly complex project opportunities. We recruit top talent and are currently seeking a full-time Senior Geotechnical Laboratory Technician to join our team in Lexington, Kentucky.
Typical assignments and responsibilities for this position include (but are not limited to):
- Laboratory testing of construction related materials including soil, concrete, aggregate, rock, masonry, and asphalt;
- Daily use of Metafield, and/or other field and laboratory information management systems, for recording of testing results;
- Communication of laboratory observations and testing results with Construction Services and Geotechnical Project Management staff and clients;
- Performing, and/or coordinating others in, timely calibrations and maintenance of field and laboratory equipment to industry codes and standards;
- Maintaining documentation of equipment maintenance and calibrations for compliance with AASHTO Accreditation Program requirements, including internal and external audits.
- Assisting in the organization and maintenance of a state radiological license for nuclear density gauges as well as performing laboratory testing under a state radioactive material license for handling radioactively contaminated soil and construction materials.
- Mentoring, coaching, and training of less experienced technician staff in the areas of testing, work planning/flow, and reporting.
- High School Diploma or GED required;
- Vocational Training or Associate's degree in Civil Engineering, Engineering Technology, Construction Management, Geology, or related degree program, preferred;
- Experience with ASTM, AASHTO, or ISO standards, required;
- 3 or more years of experience in geotechnical and materials laboratory testing, preferred;
- Effective communication skills (speaking, reading, and writing), using the English language, required;
- If not currently certified, willingness to obtain American Concrete Institute (ACI), National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET), International Code Council (ICC), and/or Department of Transportation (DOT) certifications in the fields of aggregate, asphalt, soil, concrete, reinforced concrete, and masonry, required;
- Experience with computer-controlled testing equipment and data acquisition software, and computer-based reporting software (e.g. Humboldt, Geotac, and GeoSystems), preferred;
- An understanding of professionalism and tact, relative to interaction with fellow colleagues including (but not limited to) various disciplines within S&ME, clients, subcontractors, equipment suppliers, and calibration vendors, required;
- Advanced math skills and proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, required;
- Ability to routinely lift 40 to 50 lbs. (field/laboratory samples and equipment), required;
- Willingness to work outdoors in varying weather conditions (Company will provide Personal Protective Equipment and inclement weather gear, as appropriate), required;
- Willingness to travel out-of-town (typically overnight) for short duration assignments, required;
- State HAZMAT and nuclear density gauge experience, preferred.
One or More Active Certification(s) Preferred:
- National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- Field Testing Grade I; Strength Testing Technician; Laboratory Technician; Aggregate Testing.
This is a full-time position with competitive pay based on experience. Successful candidate must meet requirements of the company's Fleet Management Program, Substance Policy and Reference check program. Submit resume, cover letter, and salary expectations for consideration. Only qualified candidates with acceptable employment eligibility verification (I-9) will be considered. Visa assistance not provided. S&ME reserves the right to fill this position with an internal or external candidate at any time during the search. S&ME is not responsible for unauthorized job postings or submissions of resumes using external links/websites.
No candidate/recruiter calls, personal calls or walk-ins accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minorities/Females/Disability/Veterans; VEVRAA Federal Contractor