- 22-Sep-2021 to Until Filled (EST)
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Part Time
Position: Family Trainer - Bilingual (Spanish)
Job Type: Hourly Part-time (weeknights and some Saturdays during the school year)
Location: Greater Los Angeles
PowerMyLearning is a nonprofit that advances educational equity and accelerates student success. Our programs promote culturally relevant teaching practices, foster social-emotional learning, and help students reach rigorous learning standards. We offer school- and district-level packages that include professional development for teachers and capacity-building workshops for families. We also offer an award-winning innovation, Family Playlists®. What sets us apart from other organizations is our focus on activating the power of collaboration between students, teachers, and families. Now more than ever, our collective efforts to accelerate learning recovery must address the needs of the whole child and include families so we can reverse the systematic denial of educational opportunity based on race, class, language, and learning differences.
PowerMyLearning's Family Trainers are responsible for facilitating Family Workshops, both online and in-person. The focus of the workshops is to build families' capacity to support their child's academic and social-emotional learning. Family Trainers provide 60-minute workshop on a variety of topics related to learning and strengthening relationships for up to 100 families. PowerMyLearning provides new Family Trainers with in-depth training prior to leading a workshop. Family Trainers also receive ongoing coaching and feedback from PowerMyLearning staff and their peers in order to ensure high-quality training at all times.
Family Trainers should generally have availability from Tuesday-Thursday between 4:00pm-7:00pm, as well as occasional Saturday mornings. Exact timing will be determined by school site coordinators. They should also be available for 1 hour of training each month during evening hours. The time commitment for each workshop is approximately 2 hours, including prep time and facilitation time. Family Trainers are compensated for time spent preparing for workshops.
PowerMyLearning partners with schools throughout the Greater Los Angeles region. Family Trainers may be asked to deliver services online or in-person This position reports to the Program Manager, Family Engagement on the Los Angeles team.
- Becoming well-versed in all of the PowerMyLearning Family Workshops (FWs)
- Providing engaging facilitation of FWs in English and Spanish
- Following pacing and guidelines as outlined in each FW's facilitation guide
- Maintaining control and flow of the workshop at all times
- Creating a safe, inviting and motivating workshop environment
- Representing PowerMyLearning in a professional manner at all times
- Working with PowerMyLearning staff to continuously improve FWs
- Encouraging families to complete a workshop survey, and regularly reviewing and reflecting on survey data
- Ensuring that families leave the workshop with new tools and strategies to support their child
- Attending all training sessions as needed
- Performing other duties as necessary
- Passion for PowerMyLearning's mission
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Experience training, teaching, or presenting in some capacity
- Ability to embrace and embody PowerMyLearning's core values, including advancing equity for the families we serve
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills and high levels of confidence as a public speaker/presenter
- Strong relationship or "people" skills
- Strong problem-solving skills & extremely flexible
- Proficiency and comfort using basic computer functions, including Zoom, MS Office applications, and collaborative online tools (e.g., Google Suite)
- Experience at building family capacity through meeting facilitation and/or training
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience working with public schools and/or districts
- This role is paid at a competitive hourly rate of $25 per hour for implementation and training
OUR VALUES AND HIRING PHILOSOPHY
PowerMyLearning strives to embody our core values: Strengthen Relationships, Embrace Learning, Advance Equity, and Embody Humility.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization in which we give voice to, and meet the needs of, the teachers, families, and students we serve. PowerMyLearning encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds, especially people of color and members of other historically marginalized groups.
PowerMyLearning is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
We encourage applications from people with unusual career paths and diverse experiences. Even if you haven't had a similar role before, we welcome you to apply!
Qualified candidates can apply by submitting a resume and thoughtful cover letter. (outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position). To get started, fill out our quick application on the right.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.