FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Ensures that students use proper crossing locations, and that no children are in the roadway while traffic is moving. If crossing signals are present, the crossing guard will use them to assist in the crossing.
- Disrupts traffic only to allow children to cross the roadway.
- Works with school officials, student crossing guards, and the shift supervisor in order to provide safe and orderly movement of children.
- Ensures visibility and presence to motoring public and stations himself/herself on the sidewalk nearest to approaching children or near the curb on the side of the roadway if a sidewalk is not available.
- Notes any hazardous traffic offenses by accurately describing the vehicle and driver, or obtaining the license tag number. Such violations would consist of failure to obey the crossing guard's signals, or speeding.
- Obtains assistance from the Police Department in an emergency situation.
- May be ordered to direct traffic during emergency conditions.
- Education preferred, but not required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Provide transportation to and from his/her assigned location.
- Successfully complete initial training and yearly training thereafter.
- Utilize safety equipment when on duty.
Knowledge of local traffic regulations, especially those pertaining to the responsibilities of drivers or pedestrians, with the immediate area of the school crossing.
- Knowledge of city safety rules and regulations.
- Must be able to work outside under hot and humid conditions with some exposures to radiant energy and be able to stand, walk without rest for a minimum of 40 minutes.
- Must be able to communicate with students in order to give them direction.
- Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable an individual to perform the essential functions of this position.
The City of Pleasant Grove is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, religion, sex, pregnancy, genetic information, age, national origin, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, or any other factor protected by the law. Reasonable accommodations may be made for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodation.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities and duties performed on the job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job-related duties and responsibilities that an employee may perform. An employee in this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties required by their supervisor. This job description is not intended to and does not infer or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons. This updated job description supersedes prior descriptions for the same position. Management reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.