- 10-Mar-2023 to 30-May-2023 (EST)
- Chelsea, MA, USA
- 18.00-21.00 per hour
No Benefits Thursday - Monday 8:00am -4:00pm This position will also require working most water fountain events which occur on weeknight evenings and weekend days
Intern, Public Outreach and Engagement, Chelsea, MA.
MWRA owns and operates portable drinking water fountains that provide free drinking water at public events in MWRA member communities. The water fountains provide cold and refreshing MWRA water for filling reusable water bottles or sip directly from the bubblers. The portable water fountains are a popular resource for member communities, promote sustainability, and serve as a valuable public outreach and engagement tool for MWRA. In 2022, MWRA brought the water fountains to approximately 100 public events across MWRA member communities. Typical events include community festivals and town days, non-profit events, framers markets, community concerts and 5Ks.
The MWRA is seeking an Intern, Public Outreach and Engagement, to staff the portable water fountains at public events in MWRA member communities. This positions involves representing MWRA these events, engaging with attendees and welcoming them to use the portable water fountains, and answering any questions as they arise. Questions typically relate to the water fountains themselves or the MWRA water and wastewater systems. In addition to staffing events, this position includes some office work, such as responding to water fountain inquires, managing the water fountain schedule, and coordinating event details.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend public events in MWRA member communities and staff the MWRA portable water fountains.
- Represent MWRA at community events and answer questions.
- Encourage the use of the portable water fountains.
- Assist with responding to water fountain inquiries and managing the schedule of water fountain events.
- Coordinate logistics with event organizers and MWRA Water Operations staff in advance of water fountain events.
- Excellent public speaking, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to confidently attend public events and engage with attendees and the public.
- Ability learn and convey fundamentals of the MWRA water and wastewater systems in response to questions from event attendees and the public.
- Attention to detail and ability to work cooperatively with both event organizers and other MWRA staff to schedule and coordinate event logistics.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook and Excel.
- A valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operators License.
- Work Location: Primary location is MWRA, 2 Griffin Way, Chelsea, MA. However, this position involves traveling to public events in MWRA member communities. Some events may be accessible by public transportation, while others may require driving (either a personal or MWRA vehicle).
- Work Schedule: Schedule will vary. A typical week may be Thursday-Monday. Most water fountain events occur on weeknight evenings and weekend days. This position also includes daytime office hours expected.
- Internship duration May - August.
How to Apply:
Apply on line at: https://mwra.applicantpro.com/jobs/
Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or veteran status.