- 09-Jun-2021 to 25-Jun-2021 (PST)
- San Rafael, CA, USA
The California Film Institute is looking for a skilled project manager, editor and writer for the seasonal role (contract) of Managing Editor, Publications for the 44th Mill Valley Film Festival which takes place October 7-17, 2021. The position can be remote or in-person.
The managing editor will be responsible for overseeing all of the editorial content for MVFF44's program, managing a team of note writers, and coordinating with all Festival departments to ensure the timely delivery of content for our digital publication, website and streaming platform.
Candidates should have project management experience, excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong attention to detail as well as a commitment to inclusivity and the representation of diverse voices in the MVFF44 program.
This is a temporary contract from June through September with a varying time commitment based on production schedules, particularly during Labor Day Weekend.
Scope of Work:
- Setting deadlines and managing publications timeline
- Hiring and supervising roster of contract writers for program notes and matching writers with films
- Tracking and overseeing timely delivery of all program content including film notes, program copy (e.g. bios, additional copy), stills, head shots, bios, credits, sponsor logos, calendar details, ticketing information, etc.
- Collaborating with marketing, design, programming, operations, box office, and development teams to ensure stakeholder objectives and deadlines are met
- Supervising copy editing, proofreading, and fact checking to ensure all work meets festival style guide and standards
- Scheduling and managing the corrections process for content on all digital platforms before and after they go live
- Assisting with populating digital content in WordPress and Cinesend
- A minimum of 3 years' experience in content and publication editing or similar role.
- Strong editing skills, as well as written and verbal communication
- Project management and teamwork ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience with CMS platforms and managing web content (e.g. WordPress)
- Familiarity with Chicago & AP Style
About the California Film Institute
The non-profit California Film Institute celebrates and promotes film as art and education through year-round programming at the non-profit independent Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center, presentation of the acclaimed Mill Valley Film Festival and DocLands Documentary Film Festival, and cultivation of the next generation of filmmakers and audiences through CFI Education programs.
We are taking steps to ensure that the California Film Institute is a safe and equitable space for staff members, contractors, filmmakers and audiences alike. This includes the incorporation of inclusivity, diversity and accessibility measures into the organization's business plan and the introduction of tangible KPIs to hold ourselves accountable for our commitment to serve and engage diverse audiences through our work. We are also working to examine racial justice internally in order to drive self-discovery and best inform how we can change practices and utilize our voice and position within the community.
CFI is committed to equal opportunity. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for employees, contractors, and guests. Our policies prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.