- Product Development
- Emeryville, CA, USA
- Full Time
LeapFrog offers a wide range of benefit programs to eligible employees, including 401k, Medical, Dental, Prescription, Vision, FSA, company paid Life and Short Term Disability, and Parental Leave. LeapFrog also offers 10 paid Holidays and 3 Floating Holidays annually, along with a generous PTO plan.
LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. is the leader in innovative solutions that encourage a child's curiosity and love of learning throughout their early developmental journey. For more than 20 years, LeapFrog has helped children expand their knowledge and imagination through award-winning products that combine state-of-the-art educational expertise led by the LeapFrog Learning Team, innovative technology, and engaging play turning playtime into quality time that helps children leap ahead. LeapFrog's proprietary learning tablets and ground-breaking developmental games, learn to read and write systems, interactive learning toys and more are designed to create personalized experiences that encourage, excite and build confidence in children. LeapFrog, a member of VTech Group, is based in Emeryville, California, and was founded in 1995 by a father who revolutionized technology-based learning solutions to help his child learn how to read.
The Learning Team at LeapFrog is responsible for the educational quality of content and pedagogy across a range of products including interactive games, books, toys, platforms, and web for LeapFrog and select VTech products. Maintaining and enhancing high-quality learning design is a core company value, fundamental to our competitive advantage. The Learning Designer will work on multiple projects simultaneously, and design and direct from a learning-forward perspective throughout the development cycle of each product. The Learning Designer will also consult on packaging claims, research competitive products, support kid-usability and original research, and serve as a resource across the company on topics associated with their expertise. The Learning Designer reports to the Director, Learning Team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBLITES
- Acts as the internal expert on the intersection of children, technology and various early and informal learning contexts.
- Advises production teams and company leaders on appropriate content and pedagogy.
- Designs curricular experiences that seamlessly weave education into entertaining products.
- Reviews production materials and product prototypes and makes design recommendations.
- Maintains a library of relevant resources and external consultants.
- Stays current on related scholarly and business trends.
- Support usability testing, product testing, and original research.
- Helps to maintain and grow LeapFrog's proprietary curriculum scope and sequence.
- Works with communications teams to ensure accurate description of our learning products and titles.
- Authors parent content for web and product marketing purposes.
- Collaborate through communication and teamwork with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous, and professional manner
- Exercise sound business judgment
- Work independently and collaboratively and manage time effectively in order to meet changing deadlines and priorities
- Treat all employees, guests and customers and others affiliated with our business with respect
- Conform and abide by all laws, regulations, policies, work procedures, instructions and VTech's Rules of Engagement
- Conform with all safety rules and use all appropriate safety equipment
- Other duties as needed or required
- Knowledge of how children learn and develop, especially ages 0 - 8 years.
- Familiar with traditional and innovative strategies for teaching, learning and assessment in both formal and informal settings.
- Excellent presentation, communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong organizational skills coupled with a high level of attention to detail.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Strong dedication to helping children achieve their potential.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience teaching with, or designing, technology-enhanced learning materials in informal learning environments or early childhood classrooms.
- A Master's degree (required) or PhD (preferred) in Child Development, Education, the Learning Sciences, or related field; or any combination of experience and education that provides the necessary skills, knowledge and ability to perform essential functions of this role.
- Experience in the design and analysis of learning across media and product types.
- Experience planning and conducting workshops.
- Experience working with, or designing for, families a plus.
- Experience working with, or designing for, young learners from diverse cultural or ethnic communities a plus.
- Familiar with product development processes a plus.
This position has no management/supervisory responsibilities.
Duties are primarily performed in an office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. Core hours will be set between employee and manager and will be based on business needs. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected 5% of the time.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The responsibilities and expectations outlined in this position description are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, with or without notice.
*LeapFrog does not accept unsolicited resumes from candidates or from recruiting agencies. Unsolicited resumes should not be submitted to our website or to any LeapFrog employee. LeapFrog will not pay fees to any recruiting agency and will not be responsible for agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes.