- 24-Aug-2022 to Until Filled (MST)
- Public Works
- Layton, UT, USA
- Part Time
Monday - Thursday 7:00 - 5:00 and every other Friday 8:00 - 5:00 up to 29 hours per week.
- Operates various types of heavy equipment such as operates six or ten wheel transport trucks, patrol, backhoe, rollers and trenching equipment; performs installation or repair of water service connections, water lines and meters, repairs or replaces fire hydrants and plugged water meters; repairs water mains; thaws frozen lines; cleans and maintains storage tanks; connects and disconnects service; searches out shut off valves; water line leaks; assists in placement of pipe and water regulators; removes, disassembles, cleans or replaces defective parts of regulators, adjusts pilot valves as needed to assure efficient water line service.
- Installs new water lines using forklift, pipe threader, tapping machine, welder, pipe cutting saw, pipe and cable locator old water lines; tears out and repairs curb, gutter and street in locating and uncovering broken lines; builds meter boxes; builds extensions to raise or lower existing boxes as needed.
- Operates a variety of hand tools and small power equipment such as jack hammers, roller, compressors, packing machine, gopher, tamper, tapping machine; cleans tools and equipment to assure proper working order.
- Maintains pump house; repairs water/booster pumps; removes and disassembles pumps; cleans and replaces defective parts, grease bearing, adjusts packing and reinstalls in pump housing.
- Monitors city water well storage levels; assures proper operation of telemetering equipment; tests fuses and resisters using OHM meter; replaces fuses and resisters as needed.
- Reads residential and commercial water meters as needed to accurately bill customers for water usage; performs field and shop repairs on water meters, removes meter, disassemble, cleans and/or replaces defective parts, reassembles and tests to assure proper working order; sets blue stake markers.
- Conducts water sampling and delivers to county health for analysis; monitors chlorine levels; tests water using DPD tester to assure proper chlorine residual levels; reads water flow meter, chlorine pound per day gauge; calculates chlorine dosage and makes proper adjustments.
- Participates in work zone safety procedures; flags on coming vehicles to protect the public and workers; sets up warning signs and signalization equipment.
- Assists to monitor division supplies; conducts inventory of parts and equipment; reports results to supervisor.
- Performs sewer collection system installation, maintenance, and repairs; operates a variety of hand or power equipment, including tapping machine, jackhammer, compactor, rodding machine, sewer truck, etc.
- Monitors sewer line flow, stimulates rate of flow by operating sewer truck to inject high pressure water; maintains and cleans city sewer collection system main lines; inspects manholes and sewer lines to detect leaks or malfunctions; bolts leak proof collars to mains to stop leaks; seals joints with cementing compound; opens clogged sewer lines using various pipe cleaning equipment.
- Performs related duties as required.
Graduation from high school or equivalent.
Two (2) years experience in construction, maintenance or repair of water distribution systems; plus level "I" Water Distribution Operator Certification preferred.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be qualifying.