The Kentucky College of Art + Design (KyCAD) is seeking to fill the position of Dean of Faculty + Chair of General Education.
This position will be on-campus in Louisville, Kentucky. This position is open to internal and external applicants.
In addition to qualifications, experience, and alignment with KyCAD's mission, vision and institutional culture as an independent College of Art and Design, KyCAD is intentionally seeking to broaden the diversity of its full-time faculty. We understand the term 'diversity' intersectionally, to include ethnicities, national origins, ages, gender identities, gender expression, sexual orientation, religions, political affiliations, learning differences, different abilities, socioeconomic status, and all forms of meaningful human difference. All persons whose qualifications, interests and experience align with the position description are encouraged to apply.
Directly reporting to the Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA), the Dean of Faculty/Chair of General Education provides daily oversight of academics and student business. This position includes but is not limited to program review and quality enhancement planning; assessment of student learning and advancement of student success; the encouragement and enhancement of teaching and learning; the leadership of educational initiatives and programs related to General Education; and advocating for students, faculty, and the health of the General Education program.
As a small emerging College of Art and Design, the Kentucky College of Art + Design (KyCAD) is looking for an experienced Dean of Faculty. Of primary importance is our culture of mutual respect and shared responsibility. As we are operating in a start-up mode, every member of our community is expected to bring a flexible and hands on approach to their position.
We have a healthy and kind culture, and we work hard to maintain this. Our Dean of Faculty would expand and uphold our community values in line with our Strategic Plan.
- Serve as a compelling spokesperson for art education within the college and beyond;
- Be an advocate and leader of the Kentucky College of Art + Design's mission, vision, and values;
- Provide academic leadership and manage the faculty;
- Responsible for the measurement and evaluation of the quality and success of the academic provision through student feedback, alumni success, faculty annual reporting, program review and assessment;
- Lead accreditation document development in relation to academics in partnership with the VPAA;
- Lead a comprehensive hiring process that brings in part-time faculty in collaboration with HR and VPAA;
- Responsible for all record keeping and systems monitoring of academic program;
- Consideration of the facilities, materials, learning environment, health and safety in the studio in collaboration with the Director of Operations;
- Attend the President's Advisory Committee;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure the design, implementation, analysis, and documentation of the General Education program and its assessment is in line with the mission of KyCAD in partnership with the Vice President of Academic Affairs;
- Lead a comprehensive hiring process that brings in part-time general education faculty in collaboration with HR and VPAA;
- Lead a comprehensive hiring process that provides student tutors in writing and math;
- Manage tutoring staff;
- Coordinate and analyze general education course offerings and scheduling;
- Promote wide knowledge and understanding of general education learning outcomes (e.g., incorporation into course syllabi and new faculty orientation);
- Build interdisciplinary links and establish the Humanities and Sciences as leading energy at the heart of the College and an integrated curriculum;
- Lead accreditation document development in relation to general education in partnership with the VPAA;
- Ensure appropriate policy development for general education;
- Communicate the goals and accomplishments of the General Education program;
- Serve on College Committees as appointed.
- PhD in Humanities, the Sciences or related field;
- A minimum of five (5) years in a leadership role, in higher education, or a related field;
- Active in pursuing research that maintains a current understanding of subjects of interest and contributes to contemporary dialogue in the field;
- Experience of an accreditation process is preferred;
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with students, staff, faculty, and the community;
- Skill in facilitating and modeling a quality customer service orientation;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to lead and manage change.
Training, education, experience, and other credentials vary by position in order to identify one or more appropriate candidates to perform the tasks and activities relating to a role; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to perform the work as outlined in the position description and responsibilities sections above.
This position requires the ability to lift 30lbs (approx.) and must be able to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
Work is performed in a dynamic environment that requires the ability to accommodate change and a responsiveness to changing and moving institutional goals, priorities, and needs.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position will be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by KyCAD Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check.
The Kentucky College of Art + Design is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well- being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live.
Those who are interested in applying for this position will need to submit the following through our applicant portal at https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/kycad/jobs
- Full Curriculum Vitae.
- Unofficial Transcript
- A Letter of Interest that addresses professional background, qualifications, and KyCAD's mission and
- A statement explaining, in the candidate's opinion, the importance of diversity in a Studio Arts education.
- Contact information for three professional references
If you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Kentucky College of Art and Design, please contact Human Capital Management at email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. Completed application materials must be submitted by July 30, in order to be ensured full consideration.
Kentucky College of Art and Design is a newly independent and licensed college offering a BFA in studio art. We are the only four-year, independent college of Art and Design in the Commonwealth of Kentucky and are currently engaged https://www.kycad.org/ for more information about the College's history, mission, vision, and interdisciplinary approach to teaching and learning for art and design. secure accreditation with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Please visit our website at