- Worcester, MA, USA
- Full Time
Director of Finance and Administration
Client Company: Abby's House | https://abbyshouse.org/
About Abby's House
Founded in 1976, Abby's House was one of the first shelters in the U.S. specifically for women experiencing homelessness. Our mission is "to provide shelter and affordable housing, as well as advocacy and support services, to homeless, battered and low-income women, with or without children." Abby's House currently has 79 units of supportive housing and 9 overnight shelter beds. Abby's House has a long and rich history of working with the complexities of homelessness and abuse, and provides a safe, trauma-sensitive, supportive, and welcoming environment. We help each woman to recognize her own inner strengths and abilities and to connect with the resources, information, and support to heal and reclaim her life.
The Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining the accounting systems, policies, and procedures and overseeing and performing a wide set of financial and administrative activities. The Director of Administration and Finance also has oversight of a range of administrative functions, such as personnel policies and employee benefits, corporate insurance, corporate filings, regulatory requirements, and related activities. The Director of Finance and Administration is a strategic partner to the Executive Director, and he/she prepares and reviews accurate and timely reports for management and decision-making purposes and prepares budgets and financial forecasts. The Director of Finance and Administration supervisors the Staff Accountant and the Manager of Administration and Human Resources. The following list is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and requirements associated with this job.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and improve accounting processes, such as the expense request process, income and expense classifications, cash flow process, payroll, etc.
- Oversee all payroll functions and employee insurance benefit plans
- Provide direction and oversight for the implementation of accounting processes across the organization, and maintain proper documentation
- Be responsible for internal accounting controls and fraud prevention practices
- Maintain the accounting manual and update annually or more frequently with improvements and maintain schedules of deadlines
- Oversee and secure the maintenance of corporate, personnel and accounting files in compliance with internal policies and current legislation
- Ensure all statutory requirements are met, including charitable status, withholding payments, income tax, goods and services tax, employer health tax
- Oversee updates to the accounting software (QuickBooks) and its backups, and identify and implement new technology to meet the organization's financial data processing, control and reporting
- Review leases, contracts, and other financial commitments and ensure all vendor and other requirements are met
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate
- Prepare, analyze and present monthly and annual financial reports in a timely manner, including Balance Sheets and Profit/Loss Statements, and review with the Executive Director
- Attend meetings of the Board of Director's Finance Committee meetings with the Executive Director
- Monitor and analyze expenses and recommend areas for cost-savings and efficiency
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, prepare the annual budget and quarterly forecasts and evaluate and identify needed budgeting software
- Monitor departmental budgets and review regularly with designated staff
- Prepare agency and program budgets for funding applications, and prepare financial reports for funders
- Lead and coordinate the annual audits for Abby's House and the LLC and prepare all necessary information
- Prepare required financial reports for compliance
- Oversee preparation of information for 3ABC Forms, Form 990, and other required forms that are prepared externally
- Maintain relationship with the insurance company and negotiate and advise coverage
- Oversee the various human resource plans and procedures for all company personnel and the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures
- Maintain human resource information records in compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment
- Oversee the administration of office management practices, including IT and phones, office supplies, and vendor relationships
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree; advanced degree or CPA preferred
- Nonprofit accounting experience
- Accounting experience equivalent to 7+ years of experience with responsibility for the quality of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for a program or organization
- Full understanding of accounting practices according to the Rules of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Advanced level of proficiency in QuickBooks and Excel
- High level of integrity, transparency, and dependability
- Excellent interpersonal skills (verbal, written, and presentation) and ability to communicate with all levels of staff and external audiences
- Flexible, adaptable, and ability to think strategically in response to changing circumstances
- Supervision experience
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- Ability to occasionally work evenings or weekends as needed
Salary & Benefits: This position is a full-time, exempt position and provides competitive pay based on a market analysis of comparable positions. Abby's House offers a generous benefits package, including 4 weeks of annual vacation time, holidays, sick time, health insurance, short term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance and employer-paid parking.
Abby's House is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity at all levels of the organization.
In keeping with our values, Abby's House is committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Anti-Racism in all the organization's activities, programs, practices, and services. We also are a Trauma-Informed organization, and we encourage applicants who have ample capacity for reflective thinking and learning and with lived experience who are well-grounded in their own recovery.