CLOVERLAND ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE
OPERATIONS SYSTEMS SPECIALIST
STATUS: NON-UNION, FULL TIME, EXEMPT, SALARY
JOB CODE 34-2361
1. POSITION FUNCTION/OBJECTIVE
Under the direction of the Engineering Manager, the Operations Systems Specialist is responsible for the development, maintenance, support, and expertise within the Engineering Department for the Cooperative distribution operational indication, control, metering, and supporting network/communication systems. This includes the Energy Management System (EMS)/Supervisory Control and Data Management (SCADA), Automated Meter Reading, Advanced Metering Infrastructure, Distribution Automation, and other related systems. The Operations Systems Specialist is expected to collaborate internally with all Cooperative staff within Information Technology, Generation, Billing, and Accounting. Externally this position will work closely with transmission provider(s), contractors, and other vendors relative to respective operational systems. The Operations Systems Specialist will provide in-house training and fill reporting requests. This position is responsible for maintaining the accuracy and integrity of the data acquisition, reporting from, and reporting on systems at the Cooperative.
2.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Within the guidelines provided by board policies, operating policies and procedures, standards, approved work plans, budgets and delegation from the Engineering Manager, the Operations Systems Specialist assumes the responsibility and has authority for the following activities:
- Performs routine, daily support, and maintenance of the AMR/AMI, ION SPM, and EMS/SCADA systems including log checks, reviews, verification of systems performance, and tracking of firmware and patch updates.
- Manages and performs firmware updates on meters or other field devices.
- Manages and performs routine maintenance and updates to the communications/network components of the OT systems in conjunction with IT support.
- Maintain schedules for all meter reading activities within the Cooperative.
- Develop and maintain computer/mobile device driven applications, tools, management-based 'web screens', and tools/applications/screens for end-users of operational systems.
- Serves as a point of contact for vendors relative to those systems and coordinates with outside parties for which Cooperative systems exchange data with (i.e. ATC, MISO, WEC, etc).
- Performs and coordinates application end-user training and support both on daily and routine basis and throughout any software and hardware upgrades or conversions.
- Performs and coordinates hardware and software vendor technical support as needed to ensure continued system operations and resolving issues impacting these systems.
- Performs custom data extractions, custom reporting, or other data requests or analysis based on these systems that support the requests and needs of the Cooperative.
- Supports and maintains through interactions with other areas and vendors the integrated data exchanges between systems (examples: Multi-speak & Import/Export processes of CEC deployed applications).
- Performs long term planning and goal setting to preserve and protect the integrity, reliability, and investment in these systems.
- Provides for the design, technology, implementation, maintenance, continuance, training, and reporting of electronic ("cyber") security measures of Cooperative data, systems, and infrastructure with the Operational environment that meet industry, Cooperative, State, Federal, and other regulatory or advisory agency standards.
- Provides internal expertise in the use, operation, and suitability of these data systems and applications to all departments of the Cooperative while serving as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for regulatory and reliability requirements the Cooperative has with respective agencies (i.e. RFirst and NERC).
- Provide supporting tasks as needed with specialized meter data for atypical installations to allow for the proper monthly processing and billing.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
3.KNOWLEDGE, CORE COMPETENCIES AND ADDITIONAL EXPECTATIONS
- Demonstrate ability to understand and apply the applicable NERC Standards to ensure the regulatory compliance of the Cooperative, members, and/or other entity data, communications, equipment, and systems.
- Demonstrate ability to understand the terms, technology, and apply all respective tools, applications, systems, and philosophies to ensure electronic (data), networking and communications of, and relative physical security measures are maintained to Cooperative standards and requirements.
- Detailed knowledge of basic Remote Terminal Unit system communication protocols, operations, and programming.
- Broad knowledge of electrical substation system design, communications, and operations.
- Broad knowledge of AMR/AMI principles and practices.
- Proficient ability to coordinate, schedule, and multi-task.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient at maintaining records and documentation, and with development of policies, training materials, and manuals. Must also show demonstrated ability to implement staff training sessions related to policies and manuals that have been developed.
- Proficient ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, managers, members, vendors, and service providers.
- Proficient working knowledge of utility operations, metering and billing practices, and electric power systems.
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft networking, network domains and active directory and group policies.
- Proficient working knowledge of computers, servers, and network equipment and demonstrated experience with computer systems, applications, troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance.
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft operating systems, MS-SQL databases and MS Office applications, Oracle database applications, and SAP Crystal Reports.
- Proficient working knowledge of TCP/IP networks, routing, and switching.
- Proficient working knowledge of mobile devices, cellular devices, and wireless devices.
- Proficient working knowledge of wired communications including telephone systems, digital services, private and public network services, and point-to-point services.
- Demonstrated proficient working knowledge of basic office equipment including copier, FAX, scanner, printer and plotter.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality in the performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Personal Characteristics: team player, demonstrates integrity, must maintain confidentiality, tact and persuasiveness, able to work well with diverse groups of people, and gain and maintain respect of others, both inside and outside the Cooperative.
This position is exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is therefore not subject to the Cooperative's policies and procedures to overtime hours and premium pay. See Cloverland Electric's Employee Handbook for policies on exempt/salaried employees.
5.EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor's Degree related to engineering, computer sciences, computer systems, information technology, or related/similar technical areas of study preferred. An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
- Relevant accredited certifications will be considered with 3-4 years of documented work experience
6.ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed typically in a climate-controlled office environment at a desk with minimal physical exertion. Position requires repetitive motions with hands and fingers for keyboarding. Must be able to adhere to deadlines and work independently. Accessible via mobile technology (cell phone, email, other mobile devices) 24 hours a day for timely response during emergencies. Travel is mostly within the Cooperative's service area to field locations including substations and member sites. Occasional travel to trainings, seminars and/or conference outside the service area may be required. Must be willing to work outside of regular business hours, as needed to complete tasks and meet deadlines. Must possess a valid Michigan driver's license.
7.REPORTS AND OTHER RELATIONSHIPS
- Reports To: Engineering Manager
- Supervisory Authorities: None
JOB DESCRIPTION ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Job descriptions are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities, depending on risk to health and safety of the employee and/or others. The basic requirement of every position is to perform all tasks as assigned. Duties and scope of position may change based on needs of the Cooperative. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Cloverland Electric Cooperative staff members are required to work in a safe manner and in accordance with the procedures listed in the Cooperative's Safety Manual. Cloverland Electric Cooperative is an equal opportunity provider and employer.