- 16-Nov-2021 to 07-Dec-2022 (CST)
- Police Department
- Conroe, TX, USA
- Full Time
Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement, Pool and Recreation Center facility usage
Communications Officers shall be responsible for the operation of the communication center. These duties include but not limited to receiving and transmitting messages via radio, telephone and teletype; receiving emergency calls for service and dispatching calls for service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Answers telephone calls and visitors. Routes, responds or receives information as needed per policy. Provides information when appropriate. Handles all emergency calls for service, in accordance with policy, while maintaining other duties simultaneously.
- Receives and transmits appropriate verbal communications via radio as per department and FCC policies. Maintains contact with field units at all times. Maintains contact with other agencies as needed.
- Receives, transmits and records data via computer terminals accurately. Utilizes numerous terminals/keyboards simultaneously. Utilizes terminals as an information source.
- Monitors every officer's location to ensure safety.
- Monitors multiple radio channels at once.
- Documents radio, telephone, arrest activities, etc. as required. Ensures all documents are accurately completed in a timely manner and secured for permanent record, as required by department, FCC and TCIC policies.
- Utilizes numerous forms of resource materials as needed (computers, books, logs, etc.) to assist officers and detectives' duties and dispatching calls. Keeps TCIC/NCIC books and other reference materials up-to-date. Types new lists as needed.
- Types, sorts, alphabetizes, files and retrieves forms from filing cabinets as needed to ensure proper operations of communications center and for security of paperwork per TCIC policy.
- Troubleshoots basic problems on equipment in dispatch and ensures all equipment is continually operating properly according to department. FCC and TCIC policies. Ensures all needed supervisors/technicians are immediately notified of needed repairs.
- Performs light cleaning in office. Cleans counters, computer screens, and keyboards and take out trash. Changes out and properly disposes of shredder bag.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent required. 1-year experience as a communications officer preferred.
Must be 21 years of age or older. Must pass written general knowledge and spelling exam. Must be able to type 40 wpm using department's typing skills evaluation program with 90% accuracy. Must be able to work shift work hours. 40 hour TCIC/NCIC certification preferred. Must possess valid class "C" Texas driver's license. This position is in an emergency operations environment and applicants are required to work shift work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic computer skills.
- Skill in customer service/relations.
- Ability to demonstrate multi-tasking skills are a necessity and applicants must have effective verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work different shifts and to respond to work on short notice when emergency situations arise.
- Ability to listen, comprehend and apply information received simultaneously.
- Ability to multi-task and handle stressful situations.
- Ability to attend in-service training courses as required.
- Ability to teach new employees when required.
- Ability to report for duty at the scheduled time when called in.
- Ability to follow established guidelines/policies, understand and apply the rules of confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate, verbally and in writing using the English language.
- Ability to work extended periods of time in a smoke free workplace.
The work is sedentary and requires the ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: crouching, fingering, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motions, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
Work is performed where minimal hazards may be encountered.