Accountant Accounts Payable
Founded in 1869, Chatham University has an enrollment of over 2,200 students across over 60 undergraduate and graduate programs in our areas of excellence: sustainability & health, the arts & sciences and business & communications. Chatham has consistently been named a College of Distinction and a "Best College" by U.S. News & World Report, and--as the alma mater of environmental icon, Rachel Carson (Class of '29)--is perennially ranked as one of the greenest colleges in the United States by Sierra Magazine and the Princeton Review.
Chatham's mission is: "to prepare students to build lives of purpose, value and fulfilling work...by preparing graduates to be informed and engaged citizens in their communities; to recognize and respect diversity of culture, identity, and opinion; and to live sustainably." Building on this mission, Chatham is committed to creating a supportive and inclusive learning, living and working environment for all members of the campus community.
Chatham consists of the School of Health Sciences; the Falk School of Sustainability & Environment; the School of Arts, Science and Business; and the School for Continuing & Professional Studies.
Located in Pittsburgh, PA--one of the country's most livable cities and great college towns--Chatham is spread across three distinct locations: the historic arboretum, Shadyside Campus; Chatham Eastside in the fast-growing East End; and Eden Hall Campus, one of the world's most sustainable campuses.
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. Women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. Chatham University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, or national origin.
To help support the work of the University, we have an immediate opening for an Accounts Payable Accountant.
Position Reports To: Director of Accounting
Position Summary: This individual is responsible for the entire Accounts Payable function on behalf of the University. This includes the data entry of all invoices, check requests, and printing of checks sent to the vendors. This individual also serves as a resource to the Budget Administrators, regarding any questions related to these processes. S/he maintains the Accounts Payable files, runs all weekly and monthly system reports.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business/Accounting or equivalent experience
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics (Great Plains) Accounting Software Preferred
- Accounting knowledge and skills in computers, typing, and filing
- Windows, Word, and Excel experience preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills required
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail required
- Strong business ethics required
Duties and Responsibilities:
Day to day processing of all invoices and check requests for payment, including:
- Matching purchase orders prior to data entry of invoices with PO numbers.
- Reviewing account coding and necessary invoice approval, prior to data entry of invoices without PO numbers, and check requests.
- Obtaining necessary W9 and independent contractor forms.
- Entering all invoices and check requests into the system.
- Running edit sheets for all invoices and check requests entered into the system.
- Posting invoices and check requests entered for payment.
- Filing invoices and check requests entered for payment.
Weekly check runs for vendor payments, including:
- Update cash flow projection for weekly cash flow meeting.
- Selecting invoices to be paid.
- Printing checks through the system.
- Matching checks with invoices.
- Posting checks.
- Mailing checks to vendors, with appropriate supporting documentation.
- Filing invoices paid.
- Running weekly check registers, for review.
Review and process all purchase requisitions on a daily basis
- Collect all necessary information for new vendors and enter data into the accounting software.
- Confirm appropriate approvals have been obtained on all purchase requisitions.
- Determine appropriate account and department to be charged.
- Ensure adequate funds are available for purchases.
- Assist with tracking capital purchases and ensure the appropriate accounts are used.
- Periodic review of outstanding purchase orders and open purchase orders.
Periodic duties including:
- Monthly review of outstanding checks, including contacting vendors on them, and voiding and reissuing checks when necessary.
- Handle requests for tax exemption forms, and credit reports.
- Maintain annual spreadsheets for Accrued AP invoices and prepaid expenses.
- Maintain professional expertise and skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
Chatham University offers competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, including tuition remission for qualified personnel, and a generous retirement plan.
Interested candidates should visit www.chatham.edu/careers and follow the instructions to complete the application process. To ensure full consideration, please submit a cover letter addressing the qualifications of the position, professional resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Actively Seeks Diverse Candidates