Head Athletic Trainer
Founded in 1869, Chatham University has an enrollment of over 2,200 students across over 60 undergraduate and graduate programs in our areas of excellence: sustainability & health, the arts & sciences and business & communications. Chatham has consistently been named a College of Distinction and a "Best College" by U.S. News & World Report, and--as the alma mater of environmental icon, Rachel Carson (Class of '29)--is perennially ranked as one of the greenest colleges in the United States by Sierra Magazine and the Princeton Review.
Chatham's mission is: "to prepare students to build lives of purpose, value and fulfilling work...by preparing graduates to be informed and engaged citizens in their communities; to recognize and respect diversity of culture, identity, and opinion; and to live sustainably." Building on this mission, Chatham is committed to creating a supportive and inclusive learning, living and working environment for all members of the campus community.
Chatham consists of the School of Health Sciences; the Falk School of Sustainability & Environment; the School of Arts, Science and Business; and the School for Continuing & Professional Studies.
Located in Pittsburgh, PA--one of the country's most livable cities and great college towns--Chatham is spread across three distinct locations: the historic arboretum, Shadyside Campus; Chatham Eastside in the fast-growing East End; and Eden Hall Campus, one of the world's most sustainable campuses.
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. Women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. Chatham University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, or national origin.
To help support the work of the University, we have an immediate opening for Head Athletic Trainer.
Position Reports To: Director of Athletics
Position Summary: The Head Athletic Trainer (HAT) will provide overall administration, supervision and oversight of all aspects of the sports medicine program for Chatham University's 18 NCAA Division III varsity sports, which duties include but are not limited to, establishing and implementing all appropriate policies and procedures relative to the sports medicine program, supervise and work in coordination with contracted University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) athletic trainer(s) and coordinating the medical care and wellness of the student-athletes. The (HAT) must have the ability to work evening and weekend hours and travel as required. In the fall of 2017, Chatham introduced the Masters of Athletic Training Program which will be a 5-year degree (Undergraduate degree in Exercise Science, Professional Master's degree in Athletic Training). This is a new collaborative relationship between the Athletic Training Department and Academic Department of Movement Science where the Exercise Science Major and Athletic Training Program reside. Chatham University competes in the Presidents Athletic Conference of the NCAA and the United Collegiate Hockey Conference for men's and women's hockey.
- Bachelor's degree required; Masters preferred.
- Certification as an athletic trainer by the Board of Certification (BOC).
- Licensed as an athletic trainer in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Must attain and maintain Act 33 Child Clearance, Act 34 State Police Clearance, and Act 73 FBI Clearance.
- Current Emergency Cardiac Care (CPR/AED) is required.
- Must have experience working with a diverse student population.
Additional Job Requirements:
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of NCAA rules and sports medicine standards of care, ability to apply NATA/BOC code of ethics to care; Minimum of 1-3 years' experience at the NCAA Division III Level is preferred.
- Ability to work with other campus constituents to support the overall mission initiatives and objectives of the university.
- Ability to effectively lead a professional sport medicine staff in highly demanding situations.
- Excellent organization and computer skills.
- Ability to provide accurate information on an impromptu basis.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to embrace and support a culture of collegiality, diversity, equity and inclusion, and demonstrated understanding of and strong commitment to customer service and a positive student-athlete experience.
- Affiliation and active engagement with professional organizations appropriate to the position's commitment to excellence in academics and athletics.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the operation of the athletic training facilities, as well as the direct medical care of all student-athletes, including aiding medical personnel with the prevention and treatment of athletically-related injuries incurred by student athletes.
- Oversee and manage injury prevention and nutritional program for student athletes.
- Oversee medical staff, including athletic trainers and graduate assistants.
- Oversee the budget of the Athletic Training Room, including the purchase of equipment and supplies.
- Direct operations for educational programming and coordinate drug testing programs.
- Prepare and maintain various records, reports and information on injuries, treatments, etc. for insurance, legal or professional purposes.
- Attend scheduled team practices and competitions, including but not limited to home and away events for sports as assigned.
- Communicate with team physicians, and extended medical staff, to ensure proper evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of injured student athletes.
- Communicate effectively with coaches/student-athletes regarding injuries and playing status.
- Follow the NATA Code of Ethics. Remains current on all state and national requirements for license renewal.
- Performs other duties and special projects assigned by the Athletic Director.
Chatham University offers competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, including tuition remission for qualified personnel, and a generous retirement plan.
To ensure full consideration, please submit a cover letter addressing the qualifications of the position, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
and Actively Seeks Diverse Candidates