- 22-Mar-2023 to Until Filled (PST)
- San Rafael, CA, USA
- 30-33 per hour
- Full Time
Location: San Rafael, CA
Reports to: Finance Manager
Compensation: $30-$33.00/hour DOE
Priority application deadline: Friday, March 24th (open until filled)
About the Job:
The California Film Institute is looking for an experienced Finance Associate or Staff Accountant to assist with accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and other functions of the Finance Department. The department is responsible for recording and maintaining documentation to support the Organization's financial transactions as well as the implementation and maintenance of an effective internal control environment to safeguard the Organization's assets. The department processes payables and receivables, and supports the other teams and the HR function with onboarding of seasonal and year-round staff. The department prepares monthly financial statements for the Board of Directors, including reconciliation of receivables, payables and prepayments. The department also processes and distributes payroll, provides financial information to other departments as needed, prepares quarterly sales tax filings including making monthly sales tax prepayments, and prepares annual reporting to agencies such as the County Assessor, Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics, and the Internal Revenue Service.
About the California Film Institute:
CFI supports its mission to celebrate film as art and education by presenting the annual Mill Valley Film Festival and DocLands Documentary Film Festival, exhibiting film year-round at the non-profit Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center, and building the next generation of filmmakers and film lovers through CFI Education.
Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Commitment:
We strive for a culture where people sense they are valued, can bring their whole selves to work free of oppression, injustice, harassment or discrimination, and that they experience belongingness through a common purpose. We are taking steps to ensure that the California Film Institute is a safe and equitable space for staff members, filmmakers and audiences alike by incorporating inclusivity, diversity and accessibility measures into our business plan and tangible KPIs to hold ourselves accountable to serve and engage diverse audiences through our work. We are also working to examine racial justice internally in order to drive self-discovery and best inform how we can change practices and utilize our voice and position within the community.
The position is part time on-site up to 20 hours per week with the possibility to transition to hybrid (1 day per week) once fully trained. Our office is located in downtown San Rafael. Proof of full vaccination is required. Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Accounts receivable responsibilities: assist in processing incoming checks, wires, and ACH including verifying coding, data entry, and depositing
- Accounts payable responsibilities: review and input vendor invoices verifying authorization and supporting documentation, preparation of weekly checks to vendors
- Respond to AP/AR inquiries from internal staff and external clients in a timely manner
- Prepare invoices when needed for vendors and donor pledges
- Assist with semi-monthly payroll processing using ADP WorkForce Now.
- Assist with payroll and other routine journal entries into the General Ledger
- Work collaboratively with finance and development teams to provide and ensure accurate financial information
- Prepare year end 1099-NEC forms
- Assist in the preparation of the annual financial statement audit
- Assist in the preparation of the annual worker's compensation audit
- Assist with onboarding of seasonal staff using WorkBright and WorkForce Now
- Provide support for special projects as assigned by the Accounting Manager or Deputy Director
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting preferred
- Solid working knowledge of double entry bookkeeping, accrual based accounting, and effective internal control systems required
- Two to three years general experience in accounting including processing Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve accounting related issues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to ascertain important information to be shared with other departments
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently at times
- Flexibility and creativity in problem solving
- Proficiency with QuickBooks
- Proficiency with MS Office
- Non-profit accounting or auditing experience is preferred
- Discretion in handling confidential payroll, personnel, and donor information is crucial
- Experience with ADP WorkForce Now Payroll Processing desirable
- Candidate must be able to work in an in-office environment in San Rafael, CA, although occasional remote work is permitted.
- Proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination is currently required.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
CFI is an equal opportunity employer to all. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment. Our policies prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on age, race, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.