CACS Head Start and Early Head Start is hiring substitute Classroom Assistants. This position is up to 28 hour per week, and the rate of pay is $1.29 per hour. The substitute Classroom Assistant works on a on-needed basis/on call.
The Classroom Assistants will encourage children's development in a play-based learning environment. Provide respectful, playful, and age-appropriate interactions with children. Assist the teacher and teacher assistant in meeting the social emotional needs of the children and implementing developmentally appropriate experiences. Provide support to teaching team, families, and bus driver during arrival, transitions, and departure of children. Contributes professional and reflective communication with co-workers and other departments within the agency. Participate in all health and safety activities
Education and/or certification:
- High school diploma, GED or the equivalent with college coursework in Child development leading to a CDA preferred.
- Preferred work experience in a childcare setting or related setting.
- Must be able to Engage in effective communication and develop safe relationships with staff members, children, and families.
- Assists the teacher in planning and carrying out individualized instruction, for example: guiding physical activities indoor and outdoor; working on self-help skills such as eating and putting on coats; reinforcing learned skills and behaviors with verbal and emotional support; reading and listening to stories; and encouraging relationships with other children as per teacher's direction. Interacts with children in an effective and positive manner using positive discipline and/or redirection when necessary.
- Assists the teacher and teacher assistant in assessing children's development, for example: taking anecdotal records.
- Prepare and participate in mealtime as directed by the nutrition coordinator.
- Will assist as needed for classroom teacher, teacher assistant, or program assistant in his or her absence.
- Attends and participates in scheduled in-service trainings
- Assists in maintaining the classroom in a clean, orderly and safe fashion, as per the teacher's direction.
- Active supervision -Physically interact with children at all time, in an appropriate and safe manner.
- May provide childcare for parent activities and/or meetings
- Assists bus driver in the boarding and exiting procedures, monthly bus evacuation drills, release procedures, and monitoring children's behavior while on the bus.
- Documentation- in writing contacts/incidents involving children, families, and staff
- Assist with other duties as defined and/or requested by an Administrator or Supervisor when additional work is necessary to fulfill the obligations of the program.
- Developmentally appropriate engagement with children
- Adherence to all mandated reporter requirement
- Be adaptable to working with different teams and in different areas, in four counties.
Capital Area Community Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.