- Anaheim, CA, USA
- 65000-70000 per year
Temporary staff qualify for 100% employer paid medical insurance for employee & dependents, 3% employer matched retirement plan, 10 sick days and hybrid work schedule utilized through early July 2023.
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director
Position Status: Exempt
Term: Temporary, Full-time. Occasional evenings and weekends required.
Pay Range: $65,000 - $70,000, commensurate with skills and experience.
Location: Anaheim, CA. Staff are currently working a hybrid schedule, with three days in-person and two days remote. Occasionally requires some local travel to participate in community events, public engagements, and legislative meetings.
Requirements: Must have proof of COVID-19 Vaccination/Boosters.
Generous Benefits: 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance for employees & dependents, 3% employer-matched retirement plan, 12 vacation days, 10 sick days, and 10 holidays, hybrid work schedule utilized through June 2023.
About Us: Join the largest American Muslim civil rights organization at the frontlines in protecting the rights of free speech, to freely practice one's faith, to pursue employment opportunities without harassment, and to live as an active and engaged American without reprisal. The Council on American-Islamic Relations, California (CAIR-CA) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3), grassroots civil rights and advocacy group. We recognize that our employees are passionate, and talented and are our most valuable resource. With such an important vision to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding, our diverse workforce stands together to demonstrate our values for everyone who chooses to join the efforts.
About the Role: The Policy & Advocacy Fellow will report directly to the Deputy Executive Director. This position will spearhead legislative research, writing, coordination, and advocacy to forward CAIR-LA's policy agenda, as well as initiate relational building efforts with legislators, key government departments and agencies, and other officials. This position participates in coalition building with partner organizations and represents CAIR-LA in campaign efforts, advocacy pushes, and other public engagements. The Policy & Advocacy Fellow is a self-initiating position that requires strategic and analytical thinking to identify and pursue efforts to push CAIR-LA's policy agenda.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Spearhead the creation and implementation of equitable, anti-racist, and pro-immigrant policies in federal/state/local legislative and budgetary processes, including supporting the Immigrants Are LA campaign.
- Develop, update, and maintain a local and state legislative interactions database, tracking systems, and advocacy program files.
- Conduct legislative research and analysis, draft policy briefs and factsheets, and advocate and develop legislation on issues pertaining to the Islamophobic treatment of Muslims, immigrant empowerment and integration, police brutality, and other civil rights matters.
- Monitor, interpret, and summarize local and state legislative proposals and policies, and regional trends that impact Muslims.
- Identify, initiate, and implement advocacy strategies like local town halls, action alerts, call-in campaigns for CAIR-LA's policy priorities and concerns, including working collaboratively with grassroots allies and grass-tops leaders to raise awareness about various issues.
- Lead interdepartmental collaboration regarding policy priorities through the utilization of community-informed input as received by the civil rights, immigration, and community organizing staff.
- Expand current stakeholder table(s) of organizations and community leaders including, public officials, faith leaders, and businesses, to develop and coordinate communications, organizing, and advocacy activities.
- Initiate and sustain strategic partnerships with community-based organizations, interfaith groups, and other allies working in diverse communities in Southern California.
- Push initiatives and present motions to federal, state, and local policymakers, elected officials, and key government agencies regarding CAIR's priority issue areas, while fostering meaningful relationships.
- Advance CAIR-LA's coalition building efforts and work collaboratively on joint efforts with coalition partners and allies.
- Participate in coalitions, draft letters, and assist in mobilizing the Muslim community around issues relevant to CAIR-LA's policy agenda.
- Support CAIR-LA's civic engagement work including voter registration/engagement, voter guides, legislator scorecards, and other GOTV activities.
- Speak publicly on behalf of CAIR-LA at rallies, town halls, press conferences etc, includes demonstrating an accurate and up-to-date understanding of CAIR-LA's policy agenda and services.
- Support with strategic external messaging on policy issues in collaboration with communications and other relevant departments.
- Co-create and support outreach and educational strategies to increase the department's impact.
- Assist the grants team with grant writing and reporting to increase sustainable funding for policy department.
- All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, job recruitment, and other office tasks as required.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Juris Doctorate, Master of Public Policy, Master of Public Affairs or related experience in a similar field is preferred.
- Two years of policy or community organizing experience is required.
- Experience with base-building, coalition building, and leadership development in a diverse community context is required.
- Familiarity, knowledge, and experience working with the American Muslim community on issues of policy is required.
- Experience with strategizing and campaign management is required.
- Experience in public policy and government affairs, specifically in a nonprofit organization, trade association, state legislature of Congress, or a state or federal agency is preferred.
- Knowledge of policy and state legislative processes with an ability to apply that knowledge to coherent strategy development and implementation is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
- Passion for CAIR-CA's mission and values.
- Self-starting with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Excellent personal accountability and follow-through.
- Can meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
- Familiarity with digital campaign and organizing tools is a plus.
TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter, updated resume, and three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity: CAIR-CA is passionately committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to compliance with all Federal, State, and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination based on age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and other protected classifications.