- 14-Apr-2022 to Until Filled (MST)
- Westminster, CO, USA
- Internship - Unpaid
Summer Nature Camp Intern
Butterfly Pavilion is seeking an individual with an interest in environmental education, nature play, curriculum development and a love of teaching youth about the natural world through informal nature camp programming.
This is a great opportunity for those seeking hands-on experience in environmental education, youth development, social work, conservation, formal and informal science education, biology, and interpretation.
Organization Description: Butterfly Pavilion combines science education with interactive fun to teach guests about invertebrates and conservation. Invertebrates- animals without backbones make up 97% of all animal species on the planet! Our zoo is designed to showcase the diversity of these small wonders, their habitats, and the big role they play in ensuring the health of our environment. Five immersive exhibits, including a tropical rainforest filled with 1600 free-flying butterflies, provide guests of all ages with an unforgettable experience. We are the zoo of small wonders and BIG experiences!
Mission: Butterfly Pavilion's mission is to foster an appreciation of invertebrates while educating the public about the importance of conservation of threatened habitats in the tropics and around the world.
- Assisting interactive nature-based summer camps for youth, ages 5 - 12
- Assisting in using live animals to demonstrate science-based concepts to camp participants
- Assisting summer camp educators
- Making connections to conservation throughout daily programming
- Abiding by and implementing safe learning practices in compliance with Butterfly Pavilion's School Age Child Care License
- Facilitating play-based learning and providing educational information to guests of all ages.
- Staying up to date on work plan (work plan will be provided at beginning of internship)
- Researching and development of chosen internship project
- Pursuing or interested in pursuing a degree in education, environmental sciences, biology, museum studies or related fields. Relevant experience may substitute for education.
- Interest in engaging children and learners of all ages with environmental education about science, invertebrates and conservation.
- Good communication skills: ability to interact with all Butterfly Pavilion guests, camp kids, and camp counselors
- Willingness to handle animals-all training provided onsite
- Ability to work a set summer schedule to accommodate programs
- Criminal background check
- Applicants must be at least 17 years of age
- At least six months' experience working with individuals of different ages and abilities
- At least six months' experience leading a group of individuals or children
- Bilingual individuals preferred
Butterfly Pavilion encourages people of all backgrounds to apply and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or veteran status.
Position Reports to: Education and Community Programs Coordinator and Out of School Programs Coordinator
Directly Reports to: Community Programs Manager
Duration of Internship: Internship is approximately 3-4 days a week, for approximately 10 weeks of summer camp, beginning with training in late May, with camps ending mid-August. Planning time is incorporated in the weeks leading up to programs.
2022 Camp Dates
- Mandatory Camp Training Dates: Tuesday May 31st - June 3rd
- Week 1 6/6-6/10: Junior Zookeeper
- Week 2 6/13-6/17: Critter Classification
- Week 3 6/20-6/24: Time Travelers
- Week 4 6/27-7/1: Aquatic Adventures
- Week 5 One Day Camps 7/5 Spider Day, 7/6 Roly Poly Day, 7/7 Animal Senses, 7/8 Conservation Day
- Week 6 (Repeat Week 1 Theme) 7/11-7-15: Junior Zookeeper
- Week 7 (Repeat Week 2 Theme) 7/18-7/22: Critter Classification
- Week 8 (Repeat Week 3 Theme) 7/25-7/29: Time Travelers
- Week 9 (Repeat Week 4 Theme) 8/1-8/5: Aquatic Adventures
- Week 10(Special Theme) 8/8-8/12: Bugs in Pop Culture
INTERNSHIP DATES & DEADLINES:
|Application Deadline||May 1, 2022|
|Orientation & Training||May 24 & 31 - June 3, 2022|
|Submit presentation title & summary||June 24, 2022|
|Submit final presentation||August 5, 2022|
|Presentation Date||August 18, 2022|
Days per week: ~3-4 days per week, may shift during summer camp
Stipend: Unpaid; school credit can be earned for this internship in most cases
Apply at the following link: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/butterflies/jobs/2324406-20970