- 12-Oct-2021 to 29-Oct-2021 (MST)
- Westminster, CO, USA
- Part Time
PTO (Personal Time Off)
Title: Maintenance Technician
Department: Programs, Interpretation, and Exhibits
Position Reports to: Exhibits Manager
Direct Reports: None
About Butterfly Pavilion: Here at Butterfly Pavilion, we transform the way people think about invertebrates. These small but mighty animals that surround us are so much more than people think. They are everywhere, because everything depends on them. They are the hidden heroes of the animal kingdom. As the leader in invertebrate knowledge, inspiration and connection, Butterfly Pavilion works to foster an appreciation of these critical animals by educating the public about the need to protect and care for threatened habitats globally, while conducting research for solutions in invertebrate conservation. Whether it is providing unique, hands-on learning experiences in our exhibits and educational programs, conducting new research that sets the standard for zoos across the country or building innovative solutions for species and habitat conservation in countries around the world, Butterfly Pavilion is leading the way in ensuring invertebrates are protected for the future.
Looking forward, we are committed to providing the most enriching experience for our audience, being recognized as a scientific authority, and being a leading educational resource on invertebrates. To this end, Butterfly Pavilion has begun the early stages of launching a $40 million Capital Campaign to expand Butterfly Pavilion into the Center for Invertebrate Research and Conservation (CIRC) in a brand new, state-of-the-art facility in 2022.
A large part of who we are as an organization is how we interact with each other. Valuing our facility, guests, donors, and our team is a priority, without these puzzle pieces we can't make it all work, these Core Values guide us throughout our day. We Love What We Do at Butterfly Pavilion, we Make Science Cool by Going Above and Beyond for all guests, donors, and team members while also Leading Change in invertebrate conservation. We Know Our Stuff and work to have a healthy culture by Being Positive and Welcoming to All. These aren't just words, but words for us to live by here at Butterfly Pavilion.
FLSA Status: Part-time (up to 20 hours a week)
Salary: $16.50/ hour
Position Summary: The Exhibit Maintenance Technician is responsible for maintenance, repair, and minor improvements of interactive exhibits and signage at Butterfly Pavilion. Maintenance, repairs, and improvements may include painting, replacing mechanical components, minor electrical repair, supporting the installation of exhibit components, and troubleshooting technology where possible. This position does not entail building or maintaining animal enclosures.
- Review smartsheet, email, and other modes of communication to identify and schedule repair and maintenance
- Identify and communicate supplies needed to adequately upkeep and repair exhibits components and appearance
- Identify and communicate supplies needed to execute minor exhibit improvements as appropriate
- Troubleshoot and make repairs to exhibits as needed
- Utilize and troubleshoot Butterfly Pavilion exhibit technology components
- Regularly evaluate need for exhibit upkeep including paint, minor repairs, and improvements
- Coordinate with Operations Manager on repairs needed
- Perform routine preventative maintenance as needed
- Assist with duties for Operations as needed
- Attend required branch and facility meetings and trainings
- Support daily exhibit start-up as needed
Qualifications / Experience:
- Enthusiastic, fun, and patient
- Solution-oriented, ability to troubleshoot
- Computer proficiency-word processing, email, spreadsheets
- Experience and/or education in engineering, design, woodworking, or related skill.
- Experience operating hand and power tools in a commercial/industrial environment
- Experience with audio visual equipment such as video projectors, monitors, touch screens.
- Experience painting for a commercial/industrial environment
- Familiarity with minor electrical repairs and maintenance
- Project/Time management
- Detail Oriented
- Task Oriented
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Interpersonal Skills
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moderate to loud environmental noise for extended periods of time.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to work outside of the standard 9-5 working hours.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the Interpretation Manager.
- These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions within this position. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the Exhibit Maintenance Technician.
- While performing the responsibilities of the Exhibit Maintenance Technician, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is often required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee may occasionally be required to perform maintenance on a ladder or, rarely, scaffolding. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Ability to lift, carry and load education materials into vehicle, not to exceed 50 lbs.
- Up to 20 hours a week, early mornings and late nights (prior to 9 AM and after 5 PM) required
How to Apply:
Butterfly Pavilion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for open positions and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or veteran status.
Applicants must submit a Resume and Cover Letter to the following link: