- 23-Nov-2020 to Until Filled (MST)
- Westminster, CO, USA
- Full Time
Full Benefits (Medical/Dental/Vision, ST/LT Disability, Life Insurance, Vacation/Holiday/Sick Pay, 401(k) + Matching)
Position Reports To: Director of Animal Collections
Direct Reports: Chatfield Staff/Gardens on Spring Creek Staff
About Butterfly Pavilion: Here at Butterfly Pavilion, we transform the way people think about invertebrates. These small but mighty animals that surround us are so much more than people think. They are everywhere, because everything depends on them. They are the hidden heroes of the animal kingdom. As the leader in invertebrate knowledge, inspiration and connection, Butterfly Pavilion works to foster an appreciation of these critical animals by educating the public about the need to protect and care for threatened habitats globally, while conducting research for solutions in invertebrate conservation. Whether it is providing unique, hands-on learning experiences in our exhibits and educational programs, conducting new research that sets the standard for zoos across the country or building innovative solutions for species and habitat conservation in countries around the world, Butterfly Pavilion is leading the way in ensuring invertebrates are protected for the future.
Looking forward, we are committed to providing the most enriching experience for our audience, being recognized as a scientific authority, and being a leading educational resource on invertebrates. To this end, Butterfly Pavilion has begun the early stages of launching a $40 million Capital Campaign to expand Butterfly Pavilion into the Center for Invertebrate Research and Conservation (CIRC) in a brand new, state-of-the-art facility in 2022.
A large part of who we are as an organization is how we interact with each other. Valuing our facility, guests, donors and our team is a priority, without these puzzle pieces we can't make it all work, these Core Values guide us throughout our day. We Love What We Do at Butterfly Pavilion, we Make Science Cool by Going Above and Beyond for all guests, donors, and team members while also Leading Change in invertebrate conservation. We Know Our Stuff and work to have a healthy culture by Being Positive and Welcoming to All. These aren't just words, but words for us to live by here at Butterfly Pavilion.
FLSA: Full Time/Exempt Minimum 40-45 hours per week
Salary: $40,500/ year + Full Benefits
Position Summary: Support and assist the Director of Animal Collections in oversight of the Curatorial Department flight houses (Wings of the Tropics, Butterflies at Chatfield and Gardens on Spring Creek), butterfly acquisitions and preserved collection. Is responsible for all aspects of quality and maintenance of transient animal collections including but not limited to staff oversight, animal acquisition (purchasing/collecting), animal maintenance and husbandry, animal exhibitry, and record-keeping. Will assist Director of Research and Conservation in oversight of conservation projects (Colorado Butterfly Monitoring Network, Sumatran butterfly house, Monarch SAFE, among others).
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Serves as liaison between Director of Animal Collections and Curatorial staff, implementing policies and procedures developed by the Director of Animal Collections, Curatorial staff and Butterfly Pavilion leadership. Communicates feedback from the staff to Director of Animal Collections when appropriate.
- Lepidopterist implements procedures and protocol for all areas of the lepidopteran collection operations including but not limited to; animal husbandry, maintenance, life support systems, monitoring of animal health, welfare, diet and behavior, quarantine protocols and record keeping. Manages supplies and animal food budgets.
- Schedules Lepidoptera staff. Hires and evaluates Lepidoptera staff and performance.
- Manages Lepidoptera staff, zookeepers, interns and volunteers.
- Collaborates with Horticulture, Programs, Interpretation, Exhibits and Operations departments on transient invertebrate exhibitry and other animal area maintenance and repair. Does minor maintenance and repairs.
- Assists with USDA, USF&W and other governing authorities. Works to insure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations. In particular, compiles annual USDA report of animals received and oversees compliance on a day-to-day basis.
- Is responsible for day-to-day animal welfare of Lepidopterans in Wings of the Tropics/Chatfield/Gardens on Spring Creek.
- These duties include daily monitoring and maintenance of all exhibits: husbandry/breeding, animal health, animal needs, exhibit cleanliness, quarantine and record keeping. This position also supports the overall management of all Curatorial based exhibits.
- Oversees Lepidopteran management/husbandry protocols ensuring established husbandry standards are met.
- Leads the development and implementation of the transient invertebrate collection plan.
- Provides input and implements lepidopteran animal husbandry and enrichment..
- Manages and reports on issues concerning animal behavior, animal health, and other relevant activities.
- With guidance from the Director of Animal Collections, oversees animal transfers and procedures, including research and development of proposals, obtaining appropriate licenses and permits, transportation logistics, breeding loan and donation agreements and invoice management.
- Provides input to Director of Animal Collections on departmental vision, direction and Curatorial budgetary development.
- Participates in future plans for the Zoo including exhibit renovation, content design and feasibility
- Engages Butterfly Pavilion guests, constituents and scientific community; answering questions as a source for accurate invertebrate identification and information for the community.
- Participates in speaking engagements on invertebrate topics and supports media needs when assigned.
- Provides staffing support in Crawl-A-See-Em, Changing Exhibit Hall, Rearing Room, as well as Water's Edge and Quarantine.
- Assists Programs, Interpretation and Exhibits branch by vetting educational curriculum and providing content.
- Participates in or leads the creation and execution of volunteer/intern or staff trainings as necessary.
- Work with Volunteer Manager/Interpretation in developing new trainings, as needed, on Wings of the Tropics and, specifically, lepidopterans. Lead said trainings or direct Programs and Interpretation on these trainings.
- Serves on Exhibits committee, as needed, providing invertebrate information for interpretive signage and design and development of current and future exhibits.
- Leads and assists in implementing research and monitoring programs (requires domestic and international travel)
- Leads Colorado Butterfly Monitoring Network (CBMN), a citizen science program inventorying native butterflies across the state of Colorado.
- International Butterfly House(s)
- Monarch SAFE steering committee
- Mongolian Parnassian project
- Other research and conservation projects as developed
- Supports and/or leads grant writing for projects. Evaluates success of Lepidopteran related Programs
- Supports and/or oversees department in developing lepidopteran information for the website.
- Upholds AZA standards and follows, as well as updates, Butterfly Pavilion animal policies.
- Other duties as assigned
- Project/Time management
- Department knowledge
- Detail oriented
- Building teams
- Conflict resolution
- Results and Goal Oriented
- Decision making
Qualifications/Experience: Possesses a degree in biological field or study, Master's degree preferred. 3+ years experience working with invertebrates/butterflies or animals in a zoo, museum, or similar facility is desired.
- Required attendance at monthly all staff, branch and department meetings and additional trainings and Butterfly Pavilion functions as designated essential by department and/or organizational need.
- Employee must adhere to Rosie's Rules, check email and phone messages regularly, report injuries within 24 hours, and alerts immediate supervisor and necessary team staff when calling in from work.
- Attend leadership meetings and trainings, as required.
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
While performing the responsibilities of this position, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the position will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
At Butterfly Pavilion, the employee is occasionally exposed to moderate to loud environmental noise for extended periods of time.
While performing the responsibilities of this position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and stand, use their hands and fingers, to handle/feel/grasp. The employee is required to reach with arms and hands, walk, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Employee should be able to lift, carry and items up to 50 lbs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to high humidity, intense sunlight, heat, cold, wind, precipitation, and uneven surfaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. This position may have to occasionally run small machinery. The employee will be exposed to salt water, aquarium maintenance chemicals, shellfish (living and dead), and chemicals (bleach, vinegar, ammonia, etc.). This employee will also be exposed to venomous and non-venomous invertebrates. This employee must handle a variety of invertebrate animals, some being mildly venomous.
Employee must have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
How to Apply:
Butterfly Pavilion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for open positions and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or veteran status.
Applicants must submit a Resume and Cover Letter to the following link:
Position is open until filled.
No phone calls or drop in's please.