- Bloomfield, NM, USA
- 15.54/hr. - $17.37/hr. DOE/Q
- Full Time
Competitive - Full Benefits
Under the general supervision of the Finance Director, provide outstanding customer service to ensure the utility department operates efficiently and professionally.
Continuous interaction with the public in person and on the telephone regarding utility accounts issues, general questions concerning the City, complaints, and other issues that may arise.
Perform a variety of routine and complex clerical duties as needed to expedite the billing, collection, and processing of utility account transactions and other miscellaneous revenue payments for the City. Computer processing of walk-in and mail-in payments. Prepare and balance end of day cashiering reports.
Set up new utility accounts by processing credit inquires, collecting deposits and fees, and creating computer account records.
Prepare billing statements on a bi-monthly cycle; prepare and mail utility bills for utility customers; run various computer reports to balance before and after billing; maintain computerized customer records to include payment history, delinquency status and account balances; coordinate with other City departments to acquire pertinent information to ensure proper billing of utility accounts.
Run delinquent registers and send out delinquent notices with follow-up billings to customers and telephone follow-up as needed; monitor changes in account ownership and identify action needed to update account records, such as name changes, ownership changes, change of address and other change requests; initiate collection activities for payments received with NSF checks and/or non-payment; submit collection accounts to credit bureau; process monthly collections report.
Respond to issues, questions and problems posed by customers; manage complaints related to trash collection, utility bills, street conditions, etc.; research payments that have been lost or credited incorrectly; calculate and enter credits and adjustments based upon established criteria; calculate disconnect fees, transfer fees and monitors account records for meter misreads; negotiate payment schedules and arrangements for past due accounts if applicable; initiate utility shut offs.
Prepare monthly and annual activity reports showing number and type of account transactions, including connections and disconnections.
Receive and review water meter readings; determine that all active accounts have current readings; evaluate readings to determine misreads and consumption irregularities; prepare re-read list; generate work orders for meter readers, i.e., "turn on" or "shut off" services; prepare water use reports for public works/water department; create work orders as needed.
Perform clerical duties as needed; answer incoming telephone calls; assist the public; receive and sort mail; perform notary services as needed.
Perform other related duties as required.
- Education and Experience: Graduation from high school, plus specialized training in customer service, computer operations, bookkeeping, or related field; AND Two (2) years of responsible experience related to above duties in customer service, preferably in governmental utility billing; OR An equivalent combination of education or experience.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Exceptional skills in customer service; cooperative problem solving; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City utility customers, state, federal, and local officials, and co-workers. Working knowledge of: customer service; computers and electronic data processing; modern office practices and procedures; municipal organizations and department operations including applicable laws and regulations; computer software programs (MS Word and Excel); operation of standard office equipment i.e. 10 key calculator, fax machine, postage machine, stuffing machine; mathematics and accounting; interpersonal communication skills and telephone etiquette. Ability to analyze and make recommendations on a variety of utility account problems; analyze complex billing problems and create adjustments; prepare and analyze utility billing reports; operate personal computer utilizing various programs to produce formal documents, reports, and records; communicate effectively verbally and in writing; effectively train co-workers; develop successful working relationships with management, elected officials, supervisors, co-workers, and the public.
- Special Qualifications: Must be bondable.
- Work Environment: Typical office setting with normal climate controls. Tasks require a variety of physical activities such as walking, standing, stooping, sitting, reaching, not generally involving muscular strain. Job functions generally require talking, hearing, and seeing. Common eye, hand, and finger dexterity are required for most essential functions. Mental application utilizes memory for details, verbal instructions, emotional stability, astute thinking, and creative problem solving.
Disclaimer: The above statements describe the general nature, level, and type of work performed by the incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, demands, and skills required of personnel so classified. Job descriptions are not intended to and do not imply or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons. Management reserves the right to add, delete, or modify any and/or all provisions of this description at any time as needed without notice. This job description supersedes earlier versions.