- Bloomfield, NM, USA
- $14.76/hr. - $19.01/hr. DOE/Q
- Full Time
Competitive - Full Benefits
Works under the general supervision of the City Manager or Assistant City Manager/Public Works Director performing a variety of general administrative and technical clerical duties as needed to expedite and coordinate the administrative, secretarial, or clerical functions of the City executive and administrative offices
Administrative Support: Performs administrative support duties; assists to provide first contact assistance to the general public seeking audience with city hall personnel; determines the need to pursue further assistance with city officers; composes communications as requested.
Greets the public; responds to requests for information and provides factual information related to city services, programs, and general policies, practices and procedures; provides walk-in patrons with requested forms, publications and other informational materials; accepts and notarizes employment applications. Listens to public complaints, questions, etc.; responds to questions and concerns by referring individuals to appropriate personnel for assistance. Assist in preparation for meetings and various housekeeping duties.
Assists the public by answering the phone and providing various services; assists the public in proper completion of applications and related documents; schedules meetings.
Types/word processes various documents; reviews content for accuracy and completeness; makes grammatical and technical changes to content as needed; performs routine research and gathers data as needed to compile or complete reports as requested.
Operates complex telephone and paging communications equipment; receives, responds to and directs incoming telephone calls; queries callers to identify needed assistance, determines appropriate department or office and directs calls accordingly. Helps maintain current list of assigned telephone extensions; monitors system to detect problems, apprises supervisor of potential problems and repairs.
Makes bank deposits and delivers mail to the post office. Signs for incoming mail; notifies mail personnel of mail delivery; processes outgoing mail, prepares and stuffs envelopes, operates postage meter, determines postage amounts, and prepares for mailing.
Public Works: Accepts citizen work requests, creates work orders, and monitors usage of Public Works' Asset Management Software (Asset Essentials). Intakes and manages Right of Way Excavation Permits, performs filing for capital projects, assists with grant applications, makes grant disbursement requests, assists with water rights filing. May perform AutoCAD drafting.
Other Departments: Assists City Manager, Assistant City Manager/PW Director, City Clerk/ Planning & Zoning, Finance Director, Human Resources Director, and Special Projects Manager with special projects, filing, scheduling, and correspondence; records meeting minutes and assists with meeting logistics, as needed. Could make travel arrangements for city staff; provides secretarial assistance to various department managers; and posts public notices.
Performs related duties as required.
1. Education and Experience: A. Graduation from high school, or GED, plus three (3) years of training in general office practices and procedures, PC operation and various software applications; AND B. Six (6) years of responsible experience related to above duties; one year of which is preferred at the executive assistant level; OR C. An equivalent combination of education or experience.
2. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Working knowledge of general office maintenance and practices; computer accounting applications and various software financial programs (MS Word, Excel, Power Point) and website maintenance; operation of standard office equipment; operation of standard office equipment; modern office practices and procedures; letter composition, grammar, spelling and punctuation; operation of standard office equipment; basic mathematics; interpersonal communication skills and telephone etiquette; basic public relations. Some knowledge of local government administrative procedures; laws governing records retention, archiving, management and access (GRAMA); coding, classifying, and indexing methodology related to recording city ordinances, laws, contracts, documents. Skill in the operation of various types of office equipment, i.e., computer, phone system, calculator, typewriter, copy machine, check writing machine, printers, binding machine, laminating machine, fax machine. Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; work independently in meeting various time deadlines and work pressures; maintain strict confidentiality related to sensitive administrative information; operate personal computer (WINDOWS) in utilizing various programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.) to produce or compose formal documents, reports and records; operate standard office equipment; develop effective working relationships with supervisors, fellow employees, and the public.
3. Special Qualifications: Recent Public Works project management, P&Z, GIS, and CAD experience preferred. Must have a valid New Mexico drivers' license. Will be required to become a notary. Must be bondable.
4. Work Environment: Incumbent of the position performs in a typical office setting with appropriate climate controls. Tasks require variety of physical activities, not generally involving muscular strain, but do require frequent walking, standing, stooping, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and seeing. Common eye, hand, and finger dexterity required for many tasks. Mental application utilizes memory for details, verbal instructions, emotional stability, discriminating thinking, and guided problem solving.
Disclaimer: The above statements describe the general nature, level, and type of work performed by the incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, demands, and skills required of personnel so classified. Job descriptions are not intended to and do not imply or create any employment, compensation, or contract rights to any person or persons. Management reserves the right to add, delete, or modify any and/or all provisions of this description at any time as needed without notice. This job description supersedes earlier versions.