The facilities utility position performs a combination of tasks necessary to maintain Beloit College operations, buildings and facilities. The four areas of focus of this position include event set-up and tear-down; assembly and moving of College property, furniture and equipment; the collection and operation of the campus trash and recycling program; and general maintenance and housekeeping duties as assigned. This position supports and supplements the work performed by maintenance and housekeeping staff, as needed, performing work inside buildings and outdoors
Overall Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives and processes work orders for completion as assigned by supervisor, including maintenance and housekeeping tasks. This role regularly serves as the main contact person in communications with customers regarding assigned work orders.
- Arranges and sets-up event materials, podiums, tables, chairs, furniture and related items for events as instructed in accordance with established procedures and safety rules.
- Moves trash containers in and out of campus facilities and to compactor/dumpsters/pick-up locations; moves portable dumpsters and waste containers, ensures the dumpsters are not overloaded and ensures areas around dumpsters and trash enclosures are cleaned as necessary for safety and animal control. Pressure washes and collects trash across that escapes containers (due to wind, vandalism, etc.) as necessary.
- Advises office manager when the compactor is full, not operating properly, etc.
- Operates equipment and vehicles as required in the safe transportation of furniture, materials and other items as requested.
- Loads and unloads campus furniture, fixtures, materials and supplies onto and off of trucks ensuring appropriate padding, wrapping and ropes to prevent damage.
- Assembles, installs and locates a variety of equipment and furniture.
- Completes inventories of College furniture and equipment as necessary and/or assigned.
- Removes snow from entrances, stairs, trash enclosures, etc.; spreads salt mix on icy areas as required or directed.
- Operates and maintains equipment, manual and powered tools, with proper care and promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Immediately reports any unsafe or unusual conditions or any evidence of damage or need of repair to equipment to the supervisor and on a work order.
- Trains, works with, and/or coordinates the responsibilities of Facilities student employees.
- Maintains security of keys; locks and unlocks areas as required.
- Accomplishes assigned tasks while working within the framework of OSHA safety regulations that govern procedures of personal safety, chemical, and equipment usage.
- Assists with Mail Center deliveries across campus as needed.
- Performs other similarly related duties as needed.
Credentials and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- One to three years of experience in a custodial, event setup, moving, warehouse or related facilities position.