Every pet deserves a good life. We save the most vulnerable animals and enrich the lives of pets and people. Our mission is made possible with the hard work of our valued employees. Named "Best Nonprofit" and "Best Place to Volunteer" by our community, we offer a friendly, professional work environment with a culture that promotes innovation, compassion and excellence. (Video)
The Arizona Humane Society will require proof of immunization against COVID-19 for all new employees. Exemptions will be allowed for medical or religious reasons.
Animal Transport Driver - Part Time
COMBINE YOUR PASSION WITH A PURPOSE in our Transport Department
Our Transport Department is committed to providing our animals with an Excellent Experience Every Time. As a member of this team, you will transport animals to and from off-site adoption locations, shelter facilities and media/adoption events by driving AHS vehicles. Our Animal Transport Drivers also assist other departments in transportation needs as directed and assist the Adoption's Team with dog walking, creating adoption profiles, and other duties as assigned.
AHS has become a safety net for the Valley's most vulnerable pets. Our comprehensive medical, behavioral rehabilitation, surrender intervention, and spay/neuter initiatives saved an additional 100,000 lives over the last six years. Each pet's story is unique, but they all deserve a safe and comfortable ride after the journey they have been taken. Remember your goal is to ensure that animals are kept in safe and humane conditions while being transported.
As the Southwest's largest shelter-based trauma hospital, your work will give second chances to pets who are routinely euthanized at other shelters across the country. You will be able to save pets like Little Foot (click here to watch his story).
Your work will help find our adoptable animals their new forever homes.
COLLABORATIVE TEAM ENVIRONMENT
Our department is small, but mighty! We offer an opportunity to work alongside others with a passion for improvements to the animal welfare world and the innovative ideas to make it happen.
WORK LIFE BALANCE (THREE DAYS OFF!)
Your schedule will be four 10- hour work days with three days off every week; giving you extra time to enjoy life outside of work! Overtime available!
SUPPORTING YOUR GROWTH
Investing in our staff is important to us! We want you to learn new skills and grow into the role. We are a large, non-profit organization with growth opportunities across many departments.
A DAY IN THE LIFE AT AHS' Transport Departments may include:
- Determines the movement of adoptable animals while ensuring the behavioral and medical criteria of each location and kennel is met.
- Safely and thoughtfully handle, load, and transport dogs, cats, and critters between AHS locations, to Media/Adoption Events, or to other rescue partners. This includes adoptable animals, strays, behavioral project, and/or animals in need of medical attention.
- Monitor and notate changes of the medical or behavioral conditions of each animal in the shelter database.
- Provide and maintain a sanitary environment throughout interactions with each animal, ensuring that personal protective equipment is utilized and proper sanitation protocols are followed.
- Provide additional assistance to shelter personnel as needed, including but not limited to transportation of animals to non-AHS facilities, delivery of mail, and delivery of supplies.
- Drive safely and ensure that animals are kept in safe and humane conditions while being transported.
- Review vehicle and equipment and report any issues to the Transport Supervisor.
- Operate and maintain the Community Cats Program. This includes ensuring eligibility for program, coordinating a safe release, and documenting all steps of the process through various software applications.
- Ensure an excellent experience every time for the animals and people of our community by responding to inquiries from the general public related to Community Cats, shelter donations, as well as internal communications regarding animal and supply transfers.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Must love working with pets and people.
- Valid Arizona driver's license
- Must be 21 years of age
- One year of prior work experience
- Experience with animal handling is preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- High school diploma or GED.
- Safe and humane animal handling skills are required.
- Work well both independently and cooperatively as part of team.
Language Skills: Able to speak, read and write English..
Mathematical Skills: Ability to perform basic mathematical skills.
Computer Skills: Data entry and Outlook
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications: Regular attendance, punctuality and access to reliable transportation required.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to drive vehicles, stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds to a height of 4 feet. There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes; occasional wet floors, and animal noises, odors and dander.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Arizona Humane Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the E-Verify program. Pre-employment background check and drug screening required.