Every pet deserves a good life. We save the most vulnerable animals and enrich the lives of pets and people. Our mission is made possible with the hard work of our valued employees. Named "Best Nonprofit" and "Best Place to Volunteer" by our community, we offer a friendly, professional work environment with a culture that promotes innovation, compassion and excellence. (Video)
The Arizona Humane Society will require proof of immunization against COVID-19 for all new employees. Exemptions will be allowed for medical or religious reasons.
Off-Site Bilingual Animal Adoptions Specialist
(Full-Time) 3 DAYS OFF WEEKLY
COMBINE YOUR PASSION WITH A PURPOSE in our Adoptions Department
Do you love people as much as you love pets? Are you the type of person who thrives best in fast-paced environments, where multi-tasking, problem solving and a willingness to learn new skills are just part of your everyday routine? How about providing exceptional phone and in-person support, building relationships, scheduling adoption appointments and communicating with compassion? If you answered yes, then we'd like for you to apply!
This energetic, friendly and self-motivated individual will be responsible for assisting the public in the matchmaking process of animals in the care of AHS. Represent AHS at PetSmart adoption locations and off-site special events. Coordinate with other departments to ensure the smooth, efficient, and successful running of AHS off-site adoption events. Work strategically with the Retail & Adoptions Supervisor and other departments to determine effective use of AHS resources. Monitor and analyze PetSmart adoption and off-site adoption event results and report results to management on a regular basis. Perform all functions necessary for a successful retail operation, including, but not limited to: handling all monies, being knowledgeable about all products and promotions and providing an excellent customer experience.
COLLABORATIVE TEAM ENVIRONMENT
Our department is small, but mighty! We offer an opportunity to work alongside others with a passion for improvements to the animal welfare world and the innovative ideas to make it happen.
WORK LIFE BALANCE
Your schedule will be within the hours of 9:30am - 8pm Monday thru Saturday and Sundays 8:00AM - 7:00PM, weekend availability required.
SUPPORTING YOUR GROWTH
Investing in our staff is important to us! We want you to learn new skills and grow into the role. We are a large, non-profit organization with growth opportunities across many departments.
PAWS UP FOR GREAT BENEFITS!
- Competitive salary
- Medical & dental
- PTO and paid holidays
- Discount on veterinary services
- Got student loans? Employment with AHS may qualify you for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program!
A DAY IN THE LIFE AT AHS' Adoptions Department may include:
- Provide adoption services and counseling to prospective adopters; complete data entry and file all required paperwork.
- Perform cashier duties; take payment, count money and balance reconciliation form.
- Keep necessary forms and supplies adequately stocked.
- Maintain cleanliness of PetSmart adoption areas.
- Answer inquiries, respond to questions from the public.
- Provide direction, feedback, and counseling to volunteers and foster good relations with volunteers.
- Safely and humanely transport animals to off-site adoption events as needed, and assist with the loading and unloading of animals.
- Uphold AHS's Standards of Care for all animals at PetSmart adoption center and off-site adoption events.
- Walk and groom as needed; monitor health and report any illness to the Retail & Adoptions Supervisor.
- Make adoption follow up calls weekly as assigned.
- Update animal kennel cards daily.
- Conduct daily enrichment for both dogs and cats.
- Assist with laundry and dishes daily.
- Monitor and document animal behavior for signs of kennel stress and illness.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be able to speak, read and write in Spanish.
- High school diploma OR
- Six months to one year prior work experience preferred.
- Must be able to handle animals safely and humanely in all conditions.
- Must have excellent communication skills and ability to complete paperwork accurately and legibly.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills.
- Able to work a flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds to accommodate our larger animals.
Language Skills: Able to speak, read and write English and Spanish language.
Mathematical Skills: Understanding of retail and cash handling operations required.
Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Explorer; able to learn other software programs as necessary. Proficiency with or able to learn/use Chameleon software (for use with animals in a shelter environment).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: N/A
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications: Requires strong interpersonal and customer service skills. Regular attendance, punctuality and access to reliable transportation is required. Requires above average clerical skills, including legible handwriting, spelling and grammar. Must be able to handle animals safely and humanely in all conditions. Able to work a flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings. Must be able to work under stressful and fast-paced conditions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes; occasional wet floors, and animal noises, odors and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.
The Arizona Humane Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the E-Verify program. Pre-employment background check required.