Every pet deserves a good life. We save the most vulnerable animals and enrich the lives of pets and people. Our mission is made possible with the hard work of our valued employees. Named "Best Nonprofit" and "Best Place to Volunteer" by our community, we offer a friendly, professional work environment with a culture that promotes innovation, compassion and excellence. (Video)
The Arizona Humane Society will require proof of immunization against COVID-19 for all new employees. Exemptions will be allowed for medical or religious reasons.
Part- Time Bilingual Adoptions Specialist
COMBINE YOUR PASSION WITH A PURPOSE in our Adoptions Department
Do you love people as much as you love pets? Are you the type of person who thrives best in fast-paced environments, where multi-tasking, problem solving and a willingness to learn new skills are just part of your everyday routine? How about providing exceptional phone and in-person support, building relationships, scheduling adoption appointments and communicating with compassion? If you answered yes, then we'd like for you to apply!
This energetic, friendly and self-motivated individual will be responsible for assisting the public in the matchmaking adoption process in a compassionate and empathetic manner in order to provide a consistent, positive and excellent experience every time. Perform all functions necessary for a successful retail operation, including, but not limited to: handling all monies, being knowledgeable about all products and promotions. Ability to respond quickly to changes and expansions as needed to meet the ongoing needs of the organization and our customers.
COLLABORATIVE TEAM ENVIRONMENT
Our department is small, but mighty! We offer an opportunity to work alongside others with a passion for improvements to the animal welfare world and the innovative ideas to make it happen.
WORK LIFE BALANCE
Your schedule will be within the hours of 9:30 am - 8:30 pm, weekend availability required.
SUPPORTING YOUR GROWTH
Investing in our staff is important to us! We want you to learn new skills and grow into the role. We are a large, non-profit organization with growth opportunities across many departments.
PAWS UP FOR GREAT BENEFITS!
- Competitive salary
- Medical & dental
- PTO and paid holidays
- Discount on veterinary services
- Got student loans? Employment with AHS may qualify you for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program!
A DAY IN THE LIFE AT AHS' Adoptions Department may include:
- Provide quality service to all patrons in a courteous, compassionate, and professional manner always striving to provide an excellent experience every time.
- Complete matchmaking services and counseling by developing personal relationships with customers that allow for education and communication.
- Promote and recommend retail products to adopters to help increase retail sales and ensure budgets are met.
- Merchandise retail space, creating clean, well-organized displays.
- Ensure paperwork and data entry is completed accurately and legibly.
- Perform cashier duties; close-out cash drawer, count money and balance reconciliation form.
- Answer telephone and email inquiries from public within a timely manner.
- Keep necessary forms and supplies adequately stocked.
- Continue to expand knowledge of breed and species types and their basic care and housing.
- Maintain cleanliness of both the on-site and off-site adoption areas.
- Foster and maintain good working relationships with volunteers.
- Assist drivers with loading and unloading animals and supplies.
- Humanely care for the animals under our care; ensure adequate water at all times.
- Walk and groom as needed; monitor health and report any illness to the adoptions supervisor.
- Make adoption follow up calls weekly as assigned.
- Solicit donations from all patrons.
- Update animal kennel cards daily.
- Work with the behavior department on different programs such as kennel stress, behavior modification, play groups, etc. Report any signs of stress or behavior issues to the appropriate supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be able to speak, read and write in Spanish.
- High school diploma OR
- Six months to one year prior work experience preferred.
- Must be able to handle animals safely and humanely in all conditions.
- Must have excellent communication skills and ability to complete paperwork accurately and legibly.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills.
- Able to work a flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds to accommodate our larger animals.
Language Skills: Able to speak, read and write English and Spanish language.
Mathematical Skills: Understanding of retail and cash handling operations required.
Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Explorer; able to learn other software programs as necessary. Proficiency with or able to learn/use Chameleon software (for use with animals in a shelter environment).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: N/A
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications: Requires strong interpersonal and customer service skills. Regular attendance, punctuality and access to reliable transportation is required. Requires above average clerical skills, including legible handwriting, spelling and grammar. Must be able to handle animals safely and humanely in all conditions. Able to work a flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings. Must be able to work under stressful and fast-paced conditions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes; occasional wet floors, and animal noises, odors and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.
The Arizona Humane Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the E-Verify program. Pre-employment background check required.