Every pet deserves a good life. We save the most vulnerable animals and enrich the lives of pets and people. Our mission is made possible with the hard work of our valued employees. Named "Best Nonprofit" and "Best Place to Volunteer" by our community, we offer a friendly, professional work environment with a culture that promotes innovation, compassion and excellence.
As of June 14th, 2021, the Arizona Humane Society will require proof of immunization against COVID-19 for all new employees. Exemptions will be allowed for medical or religious reasons.
The Senior Accountant role will be supporting the daily functions of the accounting department and collaborating with the team to complete the month end financials. This is a high volume and fast paced position that needs an equally high attention to detail. The position reports to the Accounting Manager and will supervise a Payroll Specialist. You will collaborate closely with others in the accounting department to complete monthly tasks and to provide excellent intercompany customer service. This is a half in office and half work from home full-time position. We are seeking a highly motived team player to join our accounting team.
- Oversees the Payroll function.
- Payroll: Performs review of payroll reports during each bi-weekly payroll cycle to ensure accuracy and compliance with federal, state, and company policies.
- Assists with bi-weekly payroll processing where needed to maximize efficiencies.
- Oversee the reconciliation/payment of employee benefit invoices.
- Ensure new hire, termination, and pay rate changes are accurately recorded.
- Supervises and provides PTO backup for the Payroll Accounting Specialist position.
- Record payroll related JE's.
- Assist in managing payroll correspondence.
- Verify direct deposit information.
- Assist in recording assigned daily cash receipts for multiple locations. Be able to research and analyze deposit variances and work with other departments to identify differences.
- Work closely with team members to complete the month-end close.
- Enter assigned journal entries and prepare corresponding back up.
- Review balance sheet accounts for accuracy by performing monthly account reconciliations.
- Assist with documentation of standard operating procedures and identify process improvement opportunities.
- Write standard operating procedures for work assignments.
- Perform special projects as assigned and be prepared to assist other team members during tight deadlines.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education / Certifications / Licenses:
- BA/BS in Accounting from an accredited University.
- 3 to 5 years of professional work experience in accounting with experience in payroll.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Have a strong understanding of the accounting cycle.
- Advanced Excel skills and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Have a passion for providing great customer service and helping others.
- Detail oriented and able to balance multiple projects.
- Be able to work independently
- Must be fully vaccinated.
Regular attendance, punctuality and access to reliable transportation required.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. There may be occasional wet floors, animal noises, odors, and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.
The Arizona Humane Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the E-Verify program. Pre-employment background check and drug screening required.