- Washington, DC, USA
- $600 per week
Do you instinctively know how to tell stories that resonate? Are you adept at connecting to topical hooks that draw attention to your news? Are you wired to tap into today's 24/7 news cycle, helping journalists and influencers continue to find relevant ways to connect with their audiences?
As our Media Relations Fellow, you will learn not just how to work cross-functionally, but collaboratively across the Marketing department, as well as across the organization as a whole. As an emerging arts leader, you'll understand exactly what it takes to reach, connect with, and encourage diverse audiences to make the arts an integral part of their lives.
As Arena Stage's Media Relations Fellow, you can expect to learn how to:
- write, edit, and disseminate a range of outbound media content, such as news releases, media advisories, and more
- implement standard media relations methodologies, including developing and pitching stories to local, regional and, if needed, national and international media
- plan for opening nights and media events, including crafting press kits, developing seating charts, and staffing opening nights
- responding to journalist, blogger, and influencer requests, including opening night tickets and ongoing photo and interview requests
- monitor, analyze, and report on media coverage
- update Arena's online press room, website, and other owned/shared media properties
- support email marketing efforts
- support and staff pre-production photo and video shoots
- participate in the planning and implementation of integrated marketing strategies to build and diversify Arena's audience
The successful Fellow will be curious, willing to roll up their proverbial sleeves as needed, have outstanding communication skills, be adept at managing multiple projects concurrently, and be willing to provide administrative support as needed. Proficiency with Microsoft Office is required; comfort with media relations software such as Cision, and a working knowledge of HTML and Google Analytics, are helpful.
Additional expectations: Occasionally, some evening and weekend hours will be required.
You might be interested in this fellowship if you want to pursue a career in media relations, influencer outreach, or public relations.
Arena Stage is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.