- Graduate and Extended Programs
- Decatur, GA, USA
- Full Time
Office: Graduate and Extended Programs
Reports to: Director of Health Professions Advising and Partnerships
Work Period: 12 month
Job Grade: 7
GENERAL SUMMARY: Provides advising on academic requirements for students pursuing admission to health professions programs (e.g. medical, dental, veterinary, PA, PT, OT, nursing, allied health professions) within the guidelines of federal, state and local laws and college, division and office policies and procedures. Reports to the director of health advising and clinical partnerships and works with co-workers, faculty, students, staff, and both internal and external professionals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Advises students in the academic and co-curricular experiences necessary to become competitive applicants for advanced health professions programs, such as programs in medicine, dentistry, nursing, physician's assistant, physical therapy, chiropractic, and allied health professions, among other related health programs of advanced study.
2. Supports director of health professions advising in the coordination of the Committee Letter process.
3. Advises students as they prepare application materials for advanced health degrees, including: personal statements, resumes, mock interviews, etc.
4. Advises students interested in the special curricular opportunities, such as the dual-degree nursing program with Emory University, the Augusta University Clinical Nurse Leader program, etc., including advisement on course selection and the application process.
1. Plans workshops, events, information sessions, panel discussions, mock interviews, and other activities for current students related to health professions advising, in collaboration with academic advising, admission, and career development, and under the direction of the director of health professions advising.
2. Collaborates with offices of undergraduate admission and graduate and post-baccalaureate admission to offer recruitment support related to the health professions, and to participate in new student orientation as needed.
3. Supports the coordination of MCAT and related test preparation courses offered through the Office of Graduate and Extended Programs.
4. Occasional evening and weekend availability is required to support events.
1. Maintains accurate records in the designated systems related to student advising, clinical sites and volunteer opportunities, contacts with admission offices of health professions programs, etc. in compliance with FERPA and other campus, federal and state regulations.
2. Collaborates with campus constituencies to share key information and notifications, including updates to the website and MyAgnes portal pages, etc. and other duties as assigned.
Education: BS or BA degree required, Master's degree or graduate certificate in relevant field preferred.
Experience: 3-5 years of related experience in health professions advising, with knowledge of the full range of health professions graduate programs, and the requirements for admission to those programs.
? Demonstrated advising and leadership skills.
? Demonstrated competence to work in a team environment and meet deadlines.
? Possess excellent time-management skills to successfully and simultaneously complete multiple tasks.
? Ability to deliver outstanding customer service to students.
? Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact in a positive, helpful manner with a wide variety of personalities and constituencies.
? Proficiency in modern office equipment and computer software: Microsoft, Word, Excel, Power Point, and computerized calendars.
? Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
? Strong verbal and written communication skills.
? Ability to work independently with little supervision, maintain confidentiality and abide by the Agnes Scott Honor Code.
Intermittent sitting, standing, stooping, crouching, walking, and occasional moving of light objects. Work is performed in an office.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Please apply online. Position is posted until filled. Due to the overwhelming response to the college's staff openings we are unable to respond personally to individual telephone inquiries. No faxed submissions please.
Agnes Scott College does not discriminate on the basis of, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information, gender identity and gender expression or any other characteristic protected by law in its employment. Agnes Scott College has a strong commitment to diversity and urges members of underrepresented groups to apply.