- Indigent Defense Services (IDSD)
- MI, USA
- Commensurate with Experience
- Full Time
Health Benefits, Paid Time Off, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan
Associate's Degree or Certification as a Paralegal, Legal Assistant, or a degree in a related field.
Three or more years of experience in a law office, court or other legal setting. Prior experience in the criminal justice system, and knowledge of MIDC Standards, is desirable.
Other Requirements: Proficiency in an electronic environment, utilizing various technologies and software programs, including MS Office products, Adobe Acrobat, and Outlook. Experience with relational databases and case management systems is desirable. Ability to work as part of a team and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is desirable.
Wayne County's Public Defense Services unit is developing a staff of dedicated professionals who are committed to excellence in criminal defense representation at the trial court level, and equal access to justice. The PDSU launched in August of 2020 with the hiring of its Director, and a staff of nine employees is anticipated in FY 2021. The PDSU is state-funded through annual grants from the Michigan Indigent Defense Commission (MIDC).
The PDSU will manage the transition, and then assume responsibility for the entire indigent defense system in Wayne County's Third Circuit Court, Michigan's largest trial court handling more than 15,000 assignments of counsel in felony cases that originate in the county's numerous district courts. In 2020, approximately 75% of the assignments were handled by about 200 private assigned counsel who were qualified by the Court to handle cases in four Tiers, or categories, of cases. The remaining 25% of assignments went to the Neighborhood Defender Service Detroit (NDSD), Wayne County's new public defender unit.
Working under the supervision of the Assigned Counsel Administrator, the Assignment Coordinator will facilitate assignment of counsel in felony cases and facilitate access to resources needed by counsel to effectively represent clients after case assignment, including discovery, location of clients, jail visits, investigator and expert services, training, and legal research.
- Working closely with the PDSU Director, the Assigned Counsel Administrator and Third Circuit Court staff to transition and develop PDSU policies and procedures for the assignment of felony counsel function;
- Working with PDSU staff and system stakeholders to develop an effective case management system;
- Working with the Third Circuit Court Trial Services staff to facilitate compliance with MIDC standards and Wayne County's annual compliance plans;
- Tracking Third Circuit felony cases for planning and MIDC reporting purposes;
- Tracking Third Circuit attorney assignments for planning and MIDC reporting purposes;
- Communicating with assigned counsel about requirements of MIDC standards, and PDSU procedures;
- Facilitating assigned counsel's access to resources, including discovery, client location and client contact information, jail visits, investigator and expert services, training, and legal research; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Please include cover letter, resume and salary requirements.
Wayne County offers a competitive total compensation package and excellent employee benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Wayne County provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to: recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
For information regarding the Department of Justice - EEO Utilization Report, please visit https://www.waynecounty.com/departments/phr/legal-postings.aspx.
If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the Wayne County Department of Personnel/Human Resources at 313-224-5901 or via email at email@example.com. Hearing or speech impaired persons using TDD's or similar devices may contact the Michigan Relay Center, toll free at (800) 649-3777 or 711 to communicate directly with the Department of Personnel/Human Resources during regular working hours.