- Department of Public Services - DPS
- Detroit, MI, USA
- Commensurate with experience
- Full Time
Full Health Benefits Package, Retirement Plan, Paid Time Off
In the Wayne County Department of Public Services, the Division Director of Roads oversees the personnel, equipment and materials used to perform Road Maintenance, Structure Maintenance, Traffic Operations, Forestry Operations and Roads Administration.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Overseeing the operation of Roads Administration and operation of Roads Division including the staffing of employees in Roads, Bridges, Building Maintenance, Constructions, Traffic, Signals, Sign Shop and Forestry.
- Reporting to the DPS Director/CEO's office issues relating to road maintenance activities.
- Responding to requests from Wayne County Commission relative to road maintenance activities.
- Supervising of personnel at Central Maintenance Yard and ten satellite work yards
- Creating and implementing strategic planning and staff development programs.
- Preparing the annual budget with DPS Administration and the Department of Management and Budget (Finance), including reviewing monthly expenditure reports & requesting budget modifications when necessary.
- Representing the Division in all union grievance matters.
- Assisting Wayne County Corporation Counsel with legal matters involving the Division by representing the Roads Division in legal cases with Wayne County Corporation Counsel.
- Overseeing the strategic planning of annual road maintenance projects, and the seasonal snow and ice removal.
- Attending various meetings of the Wayne County Commission and various meetings with the public as a representative of the DPS Road Maintenance Division.
- Directing, reviewing, and responding to reports of road defects and complaints from community leaders and citizens which also include discussion with internal staff on corrective measures.
- Facilitating and attending meetings such as: Division staff meetings, Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), Department of Public Services staff meetings (Director)
- Monitoring AVL fleet to assure the monitoring program and equipment is functioning properly.
At the time of application; eligible persons must have:
- A Bachelor's Degree in a related field of study is strongly preferred (i.e. Engineering, Construction Management); AND
- Five (5) years of executive-level management experience in public works administration and strategic planning. Experience as a Public Works Director or Assistant to a Public Works Director for five or more years, which should include supervision of personnel, planning and implementation of road construction and maintenance projects, experience with collective bargaining, budgeting, fiscal responsibilities, as well as oversight of staff and various road projects and extensive management experience in public works operations
- NOTE: FOUR ADDITIONAL YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WILL BE ACCEPTED IN LIEU OF A BACHELOR'S DEGREE
- A valid state of Michigan Driver's license with a safe and acceptable driving record.
Please include cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
Wayne County is an Equal Opportunity Employer