- Washington, DC, USA
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Full Time
VLinc employees are offered various incentives to include: Medical, Dental, Vision Cost-share plans for employees and their families as well as Paid Time Off plus 10 paid Federal Holidays per year.
VLinc Corporation is hiring two Senior Document Specialists who will be responsible for all document creation and editing work performed for a U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters contract. This will include Boat Operator's Handbook (BOH) technical writing services for each of the Coast Guard's major classes of boats as well as people providing support to the boats. The BOHs contain information necessary to safely and effectively operate each class of boat, including operating capabilities, limitations, and emergency procedures. The BOHs also detail the physical characteristics, equipment, fittings, and outfit in detail.
Education and Experience:
- The Senior Document specialists shall have at least 10 years of experience working with complex documents using MS Word or equivalent software.
- U.S. Coast Guard document development experience desired.
The VLinc student Senior Document Specialists will follow the Coast Guard's Boat Operator's Handbook Style Guide to assist the government in the creation, editing and reformatting of manuals and documents related to the equipment, training, and crew certification necessary for Coast Guard boat operations. The Senior Document Specialists work independently and as a team to coordinate and manage large and complex document production projects, including documenting detailed instructions, expectations, and context, and provides clear, direct, communication of requirements and project goals and delivers quality product in a timely manner. Other essential duties include:
- Ability to work independently, consult with internal clients and manage large-scale, ongoing projects.
- Remote position with core hours Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM EST.
- Prepares correspondence, memoranda, and other documents in an accurate and timely manner; proofreads and quality checks each document for content, context, and accuracy.
- Checks completed work for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and proper formatting.
- Creating and editing of charts (pie, column, double stack bar, etc.).
- Create and edit PDF portfolios, binders, ebinders, and fillable forms using Adobe Acrobat.
- Creates documents from dictation, tape transcription or other written materials.
- Troubleshoots and resolves issues related to document corruption and inconsistent styles.
- Interacts and communicates with customers, responds to general inquiries, and assists attorneys/staff with general questions.
- Follows customer organizational processes to accomplish tasks.
- Takes initiative to stay current with new approaches and changes in technology relating to document processing software.
Performs other work-related duties as assigned Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities:
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) with advanced level software skills in a variety of software programs including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, FileSite, Litera Compare, DocXtools, Contract Companion, Best Authority, Express Scribe, Visio, Adobe Acrobat, InterAction, Abby Fine, WinZip, and other software related to the core functions of the document processing department.
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal skills with a sharp attention to detail, the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to interact collaboratively as a part of a team in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Courteous, professional, flexible, and able to work independently, as well as under the direction of attorneys, paralegals, administrative staff, clients, and management.
- A team player demonstrating exemplary service awareness.
- Ability to show initiative, be proactive and learn and adapt to new systems.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task for efficient and effective work production under tight deadlines and potentially shifting demands.