- Santa Clara, CA, USA
- Full Time
medical, dental, vision, 401(k) matching, 3 weeks PTO accrual...and more
For more than 75 years, Via Services' mission has been to empower people with disabilities and their families to grow, develop and thrive by providing essential skill-building, therapeutic and recreational programs.
As we expand our admin team, we are seeking to fill this new role with an incredibly productive and skilled accountant to join our team; someone who is both a team player and a strong independent contributor.
We are currently asking administration staff to work remotely and will be moving back into the office in the coming months. Via considers telecommuting to be a viable, flexible work option when both the employee and the job are suited to such an arrangement. Telecommuting may be appropriate for some employees and jobs but not for others. We encourage employees to work with their supervisors to determine if telecommuting is a good fit.
The Staff Accountant works under the general direction and supervision of the Controller to provide accounting services including preparation of timely and accurate account reconciliations, journal entries, revenue, expense allocations, lead the month-end closing process, and assist in the preparation of financial statements for internal and external users.
- Process cash/check receipts and prepare deposits
- Perform Accounts Payable duties (process invoices for payment, cut checks to vendors, manage online bill pay)
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis (bank account, receivables, prepaid expenses, accrued expenses)
- Oversee Purchase of Services (POS) for Regional Center agreements.
- Manage medical billing processes and navigates contracted services requirements for medical insurance company partners.
- Facilitating Regional Center Vendorization requests
- Manage fixed asset records and depreciation workbook
- Assist in preparation month-end close journal entries
- Assist in preparation of monthly financial statements
- Assist Controller with payroll processing as needed
- Assist Controller in preparing for annual audit and Form 990 tax preparation (performed by outside firm)
- Assist in preparation of annual property tax claims for exemption and Form 571-L property tax returns
- Run general ledger reports in Blackbaud Financial Edge as requested by other departments.
- Maintain vendor records and W-9s. Ensure that vendor payments are recorded properly for annual 1099 preparation
- Participate in organization functions and attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled
- Maintain professional relationships and provide excellent customer service with parents, staff, visitors and the community
- Demonstrate accountability by being solution-focused, taking responsibility, communicating effectively and being on time
- Adhere to organizational internal/external communication standards
- Ensure a safe work environment for participants according to general safety standards
- Comply with organization and program policies, regional center policies, governing authorities' standards, CAL-OSHA, quality assurance standards, etc.
- Must act as a Mandated Reporter, and responsible to report any known or suspected adult/child abuse
- Must comply with applicable federal, state, and local regulations and law
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Working knowledge of Blackbaud Financial Edge
- Advanced proficiency of Microsoft Excel
- Working knowledge of Google Workspace/G-Suite for email, calendar, and document sharing
- Ability to become proficient in new systems
- Ability to document and train others on workflow processes
- Effective and professional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to work and communicate successfully with a diverse group of people: colleagues, managers, program directors, vendors, parents, staff, visitors and community
- Exceptional customer service competency and high expectations for quality
- Accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills are required
- Ability to prioritize and manage numerous projects at once
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- At least two years experience in accounting
- Experience with non-profit accounting preferred
- Payroll processing experience preferred
- Experience with Regional Center and Kaiser billing a plus
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Ability to sit, stand, stoop, and bend occasionally
If offer is accepted, you will be required to provide verification of:
- Eligibility to work in the United States
- If driving is a requirement for the job:
- Valid Driver's License.
- Clean driving record and an ability to drive agency vehicles with participants and staff.
- Proof of continuous automobile insurance coverage as required by the State of California.
- At least 21 years of age
- Ability to obtain criminal fingerprint clearance (DOJ/FBI)
- Proof of negative TB results and documentation of covid-19 vaccination (or approved ADA/EEOC accommodation)
- At least 18 years of age
Equal Employment Opportunity
Via is an equal opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to race (including traits that are historically associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles, including braids, locks and twists), religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status or any other status protected under applicable federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, benefits, compensation and training. We seek to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws related to discrimination and will not tolerate the interference with the ability of any of Via's employees to perform their job duties.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.