Via West is an American Camp Association (ACA) accredited and San Andreas Regional Center (SARC) approved provider of respite care for children and adults with disabilities (autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome and others.) Weekend respite offers innovative programs and meaningful camp experiences to support Individual Service Plans (ISPs), increase independent living skills and encourage physical and social/emotional engagement.
Location: Via West is a 13.5-acre campus in the Cupertino foothills (only a ten-minute drive up from 280 and Foothill Expressway.)
This is a stipend-based position and included room and board (meals) for the entire summer. Specific dates are TBD. Please include your availability in your application.
Duties and responsibilities
- Collaborate with your team to create meaningful and memorable camp experiences for everyone!
- Greet campers and their families during registration with enthusiasm, establish a good connection at check-in and informing care givers of their loved one's experience at check-out.
- Participate in program activities including adaptive sports, arts & crafts, science, culinary, performing arts and other camp activities.
- Provide personal care to support activities of daily living (ADLs).
- Work with staff/team to collaborate on ways to address challenging behaviors.
- Complete necessary paperwork and documentation.
Experience you can put on your resume!
- Real life, hands on experiences interacting with and supporting children and adults with developmental delays in a natural setting that will foster skills that can be generalized into therapeutic work in clinical settings.
- Opportunities to implement speech, language, feeding support, as well as strategies to encourage development of participant's social competencies in the social setting of camp.
- Develop communication techniques to increase participation with participants with varying language barriers.
- Develop strategies to assess factors that impact unwanted behaviors.
- Opportunities to develop and deliver lesson plans based on camper needs and Counselor interests.
- QBS Behavioral Safety Care training provided.
- Red Cross First Aid/CPR certification available.
- All Campers and Staff are required to be fully vaccinated against covid-19.
- Temp and wellness checks will be conducted during check-in.
- Everyone will be required to wear masks indoors except when actively eating, sleeping, or showering/grooming.
- Increased cleaning/sanitization protocols.
If offer is accepted, you will be required to provide verification of:
- Eligibility to work in the United States
- Ability to obtain criminal fingerprint clearance (DOJ/FBI)
- Proof of negative TB results and documentation of covid-19 vaccination
- CPR Certification/First Aid Training within thirty (30) days of hire date and prior to expiration thereafter - we will provide training.
- Must be able to lift and jointly transfer clients may require lifting up to 50 lbs, does require bending at the waist and knee
- Must have effective written/oral communication and organizational skills
- Must demonstrate responsibility and accountability
Some staff may be required to drive as a part of their duties. If driving is a requirement for the job:
- Valid Driver's License.
- Clean driving record and an ability to drive agency vehicles with participants and staff.
- Proof of continuous automobile insurance coverage as required by the State of California.
- At least 21 years of age to drive clients
Equal Employment Opportunity
Via is an equal opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to race (including traits that are historically associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles, including braids, locks and twists), religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status or any other status protected under applicable federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, benefits, compensation and training. We seek to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws related to discrimination and will not tolerate the interference with the ability of any of Via's employees to perform their job duties.
This job announcement is not a job description and is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.