- Stuarts Draft, VA, USA
- 15 per hour
Have you ever wanted to learn what is involved with growing a spectacular foliage plant?
Are you just looking for a summer job where you can use your great work ethic for a couple of months from June to August?
Would you like the option between full-time or part-time? Do you want to work with a fun-loving team of awesome people who are dedicated to their craft?
If you answered yes to these questions, we here at The Plant Company are looking to add fourteen (14!) of those individuals that fit our motto "Together we grow stronger". The following job description will tell you more and feel free to reach out if you have any questions:
The Plant Company (TPC) is a newly established business currently operating in its Phase 1 production facility. Phase 1 encompasses a 5-acre greenhouse facility along with a 1.5-acre production barn. This is a state of the art, controlled environment greenhouse for the sustainable production of tropical indoor foliage plants of consistent and exceptional quality.
We believe that "together we grow stronger", which applies to employees, vendors and of course customers. The four core values that identify this company are:
- Caring About People, Plants, and Process
- Growth Oriented
- Customer First
- "Can Do" Attitude
This position will work in greenhouse and production barn facilities planting, processing, harvesting, and shipping plants, cuttings, seeds, and tissue cultures; may also involve operating equipment and/or assembling carts for product transportation. This is a collaborative company in which we all work together to achieve our goals. There will be times when you may be asked to lend a hand outside of your main responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
This position may involve any of the following:
- Plant seeds, cuttings, tissue cultures and liners using hands, hand tools and mechanical planting equipment.
- Space and sort plants by size using mechanical equipment, record batch information keeping track of overall numbers and specifics.
- Transport plants from production barn to greenhouse.
- Evaluate quality of plants based on internal quality specifications.
- Harvest plants, and transplant or pot and label them based on internal or customer specifications.
- Assemble carts to be used for transporting plants.
- Process, pack, label, box, and ship plants based on customer specifications.
- Maintain clean work areas, equipment, and facilities.
- Observe plants in workstations to detect the presence of insects or diseases.
- Unload and sort incoming shipments of seeds, cuttings, tissues culture or other plant material.
- Record information about plants and plant growth.
- Bowl assembly upon receipt of washed plants - place plant into prefilled bowl with clean water in it, apply the cork and appropriate name tag, check the quality to affirm it is ready to ship.
- Prune leaves that do not meet quality control standards.
- Wash station involves loosening the dirt, pre-soaking, washing the roots in the wash bowl station, put them in approved containers full of clean water to be transported to the assembly line.
- Grade the plants according to size and quality, discard the empty cells and clean the plants.
- Sort liners by large and small along with specs by shippable products
- Flexible working hours will vary throughout the growing season. The hours are generally Monday through Friday. However, employees in this position must be available to work some weekend days and holidays. Overtime is mandatory as needed (Agriculture exemption applies).
- Operates forklift truck when necessary and when trained with certification on file.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Self-starter with ability to problem solve and good decision-making skills.
- Ability to perform basic math calculations.
- Ability to receive verbal and written instructions and carry out those instructions.
- Ability to do repetitive tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks, as well as general physical activities including lifting up to 55 lbs. on occasion.
- Attention to detail and high-quality standards.
- Positive attitude and teamwork approach to get tasks done.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Excellent communication skills
- Extremely organized and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to develop professional relationships with outside vendors.
- A flexible work schedule to include some weekends.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- Experience working in production as a general laborer.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish preferred, but not required.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods standing and walking.
- Bending, stooping, and squatting involved in the scope of role.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 55 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Manual dexterity as needed to operate a variety of machinery and equipment.
- Must be able to work in a variety of weather conditions, including humidity, various outdoor temperatures, and tolerate exposure to typical noises and smells associated with the greenhouse.
The Plant Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Plant Company is to extend employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
with our quick 3 minute Application!
Sign Up For Job Alerts!