- Stuarts Draft, VA, USA
- 90000-100000 per year
- Full Time
Anthem Medical, Dental, Vision, Principal 401(k), Lincoln Life & Disability Insurance, EAP, etc.
The Plant Company (TPC) is a newly established business currently operating in its Phase 1 production facility. Phase 1 encompasses a 5 acre greenhouse facility along with a 1.5 acre production barn. This is a state of the art, controlled environment greenhouse for the sustainable production of tropical indoor foliage plants of consistent and exceptional quality.
We believe that "together we grow stronger", which applies to employees, vendors and of course customers. The four core values that identify this company are:
- Caring About People, Plants, and Process
- Growth Oriented
- Customer First
- "Can Do" Attitude
The Manager of Growing holds a pivotal role in the daily operations of our greenhouse facility in order to deliver products of exceptional quality to our customers. This is accomplished by setting cultivation and grow standards that are to be uniformly adhered to. They will be responsible for partnering with the Director of Growing to shape the future of the company's growing operations and maintain the company's reputation and high standards. This is a collaborative company in which we all work together to achieve our goals. There may be times when you are asked to lend a hand outside of your main responsibilities.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure optimal plant health while maximizing yields by plant training, and trimming processes and procedures.
- Develop and execute preventative, naturally integrated pest/disease control, maintenance, and elimination of all types of molds, powdery mildew, spider mites, root aphids, fungus gnats, etc.
- Execute on the creation and implementation of all operations, plans, policies, and procedures regarding propagation, plant care and Integrated Pest Management program.
- Create and implement best practices for efficiency.
- Select, appoint, and train staff on the operation of the facility's automated tools, such as grow room temperature controls, lighting, watering systems and other infrastructure.
- Plan, create and manage the daily/weekly work schedules, processes, inventory, and vendor relations.
- Schedule and staff department of growing appropriately whilst forecasting for business needs.
- Recruit, hire and train new hires effectively.
- Train team members on how to collect, analyze, and maintain data on growing operations to aid strategic planning and operational decisions.
- Serve as a role model and resource for staff with regards to products and services, policies and procedures, industry news, and changes in regulations.
- Consistently report production status, verbally and in written form to Director of Growing
- Liaison on Safety Team for department of Growing
- Participate in the development, review, and implementation of procedures to ensure the plants are consistently maintained at the highest possible standards.
- Organize orders for growing department, submit for approval, order appropriately, and track receivables.
- Responsible for adhering to departmental budget for staffing and purchasing responsibilities.
- Collaborate with HR Specialist on core process, SOP creation, and continuous improvement in alignment with entrepreneurial operating system (EOS) standards.
- Teaching, training, and monitoring compliance with proper horticulture standards by proactively performing daily inspections of the greenhouse operations.
- Submit weekly inspection reports for risk mitigation and assessment tracking.
- Liaison for vendor visits TPC property on behalf of growing department and responsible for maintaining relationships with horticulture industry partners and vendors.
- Planning, labor allocation, and tracking for nutrient trials to measure success rates.
- Oversee the creation and forecast for appropriate chemical schedule based upon accurate scouting schedule.
- Maintain compliant performance management standards by adhering to review standards.
- Effectively deliver feedback by coaching staff and disciplining where appropriate.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Ability to motivate, develop and direct people as they work.
- Proven leadership and management skills
- Strong phone contact handling and active listening skills
- Customer focus and ability to adapt/respond to various personalities.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively.
- Desire to work and thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Certified Pesticide Applicator
- Hoogendoorn AcadeMe Certification(s)
- University of Florida Horticulture Certification(s)
- Irrigation Certification(s)
- Management Training and Certification(s)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in horticulture or related field
- 2-4 years of relevant job experience in horticultural industry, nurseries, or greenhouse growing and facilities
- 2+ years of management experience
- Experience in a position requiring critical thinking, problem solving, planning, and assessment.
- Proficiency in Windows based software
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish preferred, but not required.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods standing and walking.
- Bending, stooping, and squatting involved in the scope of role.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to work in a variety of weather conditions, including humidity, various outdoor temperatures, and tolerate exposure to typical noises and smells associated with the greenhouse.
with our quick 3 minute Application!
Sign Up For Job Alerts!