Animal Research Technician I
Location: Wright-Patterson AFB, OH (Dayton)
The McConnell Group, Inc. (TMG) is seeking experienced Animal Research Technicians to support the U.S. Air Force's biomedical research mission. These full-time positions are located on-site at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. The work schedule is normally M-F 0730-1630; however, there may be times when it is necessary for the contractor to work after duty hours in support of specific tasks. Although the schedule may have to be flexible, it will not exceed 40 hours per week. Contractor employees requiring access to USAF bases, AFRL facilities, and/or access to U.S. Government Information Technology (IT) networks in connection with the work on this contract MUST BE U.S. CITIZENS. For the purpose of base and network access, possession of a permanent resident card ("Green Card") does not equate to U.S. citizenship. This position is contingent upon contract award to TMG.
The 711th Human Performance Wing (711 HPW), headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio, is the first human-centric warfare wing to consolidate human performance research, education, and consultation under a single organization. Established under the Air Force Research Laboratory, the 711 HPW is comprised of the Airman Systems Directorate (RH) and the United States Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine (USAFSAM). The Wing delivers the unparalleled capability to the Air Force through a combination of world-class infrastructure and expertise of its diverse workforce of military, civilian, and contractor personnel encompassing 75 occupational specialties including science and engineering, occupational health and safety, medical professions, technicians, educators, and business operations and support.
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN I (ANIMAL) - 3 positions
- The contractor shall have a high school diploma and minimum experience of at least two years in animal research.
- The contractor shall possess the ability to effectively perform surgical preparations for multiple species.
- The contractor shall have excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- The contractor shall be proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and SharePoint.
- The contractor shall be physically able to stand for long periods of time and capable of carrying equipment.
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Degree: Preferred in an academic field related to health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
- Certification: Preferred certification by American Association Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) or Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT)
- Maintains sanitation of cages and racks in experimental areas.
- Provide basic husbandry duties in accordance with all DoD, Federal and local regulations.
- Assists in performing some surgery and microsurgery on animals.
- Collects experimental data from animals to include blood pressure, weight, blood analyses, or other tests based on project support.
- Assist with statistical analysis of data and performs mathematical calculations as needed.
- Orders and maintains supplies for the laboratory.
- Create and revise research forms, provide forms and regulatory guidance to research staff with guidance from the Attending Veterinarian (AV) and Branch Chief.
- Schedule and organize internal and external inspections, maintain the tracker for correction to deficiencies and provide a report to the AV as well as the Branch Chief.
- Review animal subjects' research protocols as well as related documents to ensure they are followed as approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and Air Force policies.
- Maintain records and electronic databases of animal research protocols and their progress.
- Follow established research guidelines and policies for animal care activities.
- Research regulations, compliance, and guidelines with the Animal Care and Use Program.
- Provide quality control to the administrative area of the animal care program.
- Provide administrative support to the branch as well as other duties as assigned appropriate to the required functions of the research mission.
- Work a flexible schedule not to exceed 40 hours, this could include evenings, holidays, and weekends.
Compensation / Benefits: TMG offers comp. pay and benefits pkg. including health insurance; paid holidays, PTO, EAP, Education Assistance, 401(k), and College Savings Plan.
The McConnell Group is an equal opportunity employer EOE M/F/Disabled/Vet