The McConnell Group, www.themccgroup.com, a health science company, has an opening for a full-time Clinical Veterinarian to provide support at Plum Island Animal Disease Center. PIADC is located just off the northeastern tip of New York's Long Island. This position supports the Department of Homeland Security Research and Development Program vaccine studies by caring for large animals in accordance with established procedures.
Candidates are not eligible if they own or work with cloven-hoofed animals, pigs, and chickens outside of PIADC due to biosecurity requirements. The only type of livestock that can be privately owned or worked with is horses.
- Conduct clinical rounds and prescribe treatment plans for injured/sick animals
- Provide support to the Deputy Attending Veterinarian
- Generate and maintain animal health report data for in-house health cases
- Evaluate study animals to assess animal welfare
- Perform euthanasia
- Administer and distribute appropriate medications and anesthetic agents for staff working with study animals
- Examine incoming animals and treat if necessary
- Report epidemiological data on in-house animal health data to IACUC
- Attend and participate in IACUC meetings and vivarium related committees
- Investigate and generate reports for incidents involving vendors, animal health, and animal welfare
- Mentor and provide technical training for animal care staff, animal health technicians, and research staff
- Prepare and participate in PIADC vivarium inspections
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Possess a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- Licensed to practice in one state within the United States
- Minimum 1 year of clinical experience with large animals (swine and cattle)
- Experience must include working with experimentally infected animals
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Must be able to receive and maintain a Personal Security Level 3 (PSL-3) clearance and participate in the Occupational Health/Safety Programs
Candidate MUST pass a government background investigation (NAC), employment physical and drug/alcohol screening. As required by law, TMG participates in E-Verify, a service of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA), to verify the identity and employment eligibility of persons hired to work in the United States.
TMG offers competitive pay and benefits packages including health insurance; paid holiday and time off; EAP; 401(k) and College Savings Plan.