- 29-Sep-2021 to Until Filled (EST)
- San Antonio, TX, USA
- Full Time
The McConnell Group, Inc. (TMG) is seeking Animal Research Technicians to support animal care and use protocols. Work will be accomplished on Joint Base San Antonio - Fort Sam Houston, Texas. The work schedule is normally M-F 0730-1630; however, there may be times when it is necessary for the contractor to work after duty hours in support of specific tasks. Although the schedule may have to be flexible, it will not exceed 40 hours per week.
- The contractor shall have an associate degree in biological science with a minimum experience of at least three years in laboratory animal research or five years of hands-on animal medicine experience
- The contractor shall possess the ability to effectively perform preparations for surgery as well as necropsy on multiple small and large animal species
- The contractor shall demonstrate excellent communication skills both oral and written
- The contractor shall be proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and SharePoint
- The contractor shall be physically able to stand for long periods of time and be able to carry 30lbs of equipment
- The contractor shall be able to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the research
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Degree: Preferred in an academic field related to animal sciences, health sciences, or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
- Certification: Preferred certification by American Association Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) or Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT)
- Experience: Prefer three years' experience working with non-human primates in a research setting
- Assist with necropsy; set up, collect and properly label biological samples, clean up and properly document the procedures
- Maintain sanitation of cages and racks in vivarium areas in accordance with all DoD, Federal, and local regulations
- Perform basic animal husbandry duties as well as prepare an animal environmental enrichment schedule and provide the environmental enrichment in accordance with all DOD, Federal and local regulations.
- Perform minor surgery and/or microsurgery on laboratory animals.
- Maintain records to comply with regulatory requirements. Knowledgeable of the requirements for AAALAC International accreditation.
- Collect experimental data from animals to include blood pressure, weight, blood analyses, or other tests required as part of the protocol
- Assist with developing standard operating procedures, maintain and document facility sanitation, ensure safety procedures are followed, documented, and maintained.
- Inform the Facility/Vivarium Manager of issues that arise or need repair to maintain the required standards.
- Order and maintain supplies for the vivarium.
- Create and revise research forms, provide forms and regulatory guidance to research staff with guidance from the Attending Veterinarian (AV) and Branch Chief.
- Schedule and organize internal and external inspections, maintain the tracker for correction of deficiencies and provide a report to the AV as well as the Branch Chief.
- Review animal subjects' research protocols as well as related documents to ensure they are followed as approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and Air Force policies.
- Maintain records as well as electronic databases of animal research protocols, their progress, and perform animal inventory management functions.
- Follow established research guidelines and policies for all animal care activities.
- Be knowledgeable of all regulations, compliance standards, and guidelines the Animal Care and Use Program.
- Provide quality control of the administrative areas of the Animal Care and Use Program.
- Provide administrative support to the branch as well as other duties as assigned appropriate to the required functions of the research mission.
- Perform animal health checks when required and alert veterinarians of any pertinent animal health-related issues.
Compensation / Benefits: TMG offers comp. pay and benefits pkg. including health insurance; paid holidays, PTO; EAP; Education Assistance, 401(k), and College Savings Plan.
The McConnell Group is an equal opportunity employer EOE M/F/Disabled/Vet